The focus of this year's African American history events is paying tribute to Saint Paul's Rondo neighborhood. The calendar of events features speakers who witnessed Rondo’s history, and are committed to preserving Rondo’s present and future.
• Friday, February 14, 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. Marvin Anderson, Co-Founder of Rondo Days, “I Remember Rondo” Ben Mchie, Creator of the African American Registry, “Preserving Memories of Saint Paul” Ramsey County Commissioner Toni Carter, Master of Ceremonies City Hall/Courthouse – 15 W Kellogg Blvd, Saint Paul, Lower Level - Room 40 A & B
• Friday, February 21, 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. Debbie Montgomery, “March from Selma to Montgomery” Patricia Brady, Ramsey County Director of Workforce Solutions, Master of Ceremonies Government Center East, 160 E. Kellogg Blvd., Room 7600
• Friday, February 28, 11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. Program 12:00 p.m. -1:00 p.m., lunch 11:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. Proclamations by Mayor Chris Coleman, Council President Kathy Lantry, & Commissioner Chair Jim McDonough Saint Paul Public Schools African American Male Initiative - "We're Honoring a Legacy" Daniel Bergin, documentary film-maker and producer at Twin Cities Public Television - “The Power of Storytelling: A Pathway to the Future” Deputy Mayor Paul Williams, Master of Ceremonies Lunch catered by Abundant Catering (First-come, first-serve. Lunch served on 2/28 only.) City Hall/Courthouse - 15 W Kellogg Blvd, Saint Paul, Lower Level - Room 40 A & B
Saint Paul Public Libraries is proud to feature the following Book Clubs in honor of African American History Month.
• Thursday, Feb. 27 at 2:00 p.m. Book Club discussion: Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, an American Slave by Frederick Douglass Central Library, 90 W 4th St, 651-266-7000
• Wednesday, Feb. 26 at 7:45 p.m. Book Club discussion: Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward Highland Park Library, 1974 Ford Pkwy, (Library is closed for renovations; event will be held in the Hillcrest Recreation Center)
• Wednesday, Feb. 26 at 7:45 p.m. Book Club discussion: Copper Sun by Susan Draper Merriam Park Library, 1831 Marshall Ave, 651-642-0385