Guidelines for Dealing with Barking Dogs
Return to brochure table of contents
- Find out why your dog barks.
- Correct the behavior immediately and consistently. If you correct your dog once and not the next time, it will not learn the correct behavior.
- Be patient. Breaking the barking habit takes time, but with patience and understanding you should be able to complete the training in two to three weeks.
- Say "good dog" when it obeys a command or barks for a trained reason.
- Don't squirt your dog with a hose or throw things.
- Don't hit your dog. This is not an effective replacement for the water treatment method. Hitting your dog will probably make it impossible for you to ever train your dog without professional help.