Crime Free Rental Housing Program
Notice: November 15 classes are now full.
Please see use our 2016 brochure
to see classes available in 2016.
MINNESOTA CRIME FREE
RENTAL HOUSING PROGRAM
Presented by the Saint Paul Police Department
The Minnesota Crime Free Rental Housing Program is designed as a partnership between law enforcement, and rental property owners, managers and tenants to keep drugs and illegal activity out of rental property. When crime and drugs operate out of rental property, neighborhoods suffer and landlords pay a high price. That price may include the loss of valued tenants, decline in property values, property damage, civil penalties, fear, frustration, resentment and anger between neighbors, tenants and property managers. The program uses a unique three part approach to maintain crime prevention goals:
PHASE I: Property Owner / Manager Training (8 hour classroom)
PHASE II: Crime Prevention Survey of Premises (1.5 hours on-site & letter)
PHASE III: Tenant Personal Safety Training (1.5 hours on site with tenants)
|Certificates of Achievement are given out after each phase is completed. Upon completion of the three phases, property owners will be granted the use of large metal signs for display on the property. Management will also be granted the use of the program logo in all advertisements.
Benefits to Property Owners / Managers:
- Increased property values
- Increased demand for rental units
- A stable, more satisfied tenant base
- Lower maintenance and repair costs
- More appreciative neighbors, tenants, and community
- Improved personal safety for tenants, landlords, and managers
- Peace of mind that comes from spending more time on routine management and less on crisis control
Benefits to Tenants:
- A safe environment
- Fair, equal treatment of tenants
- A sense of community in knowing their neighbors
- Management involved in tenant issues and concerns
- Knowledge of proven crime prevention techniques taught by local police
Benefits to Law Enforcement:
- Tried and true crime prevention methods
- Proven drop in calls for service by up to 67%
- Improved quality of life for the community at large
- A community oriented policing approach to crime prevention
- Statewide collaboration between cities, police, and sheriff departments
- Teaches property managers and residents how to work with police and neighbors.