Saint Paul Minnesota The most livable city in America.
Go To Search
Property Tax Refunds
Special Property Tax Refund (also called Targeting) - no income limit

You might be eligible if you are a homeowner, you owned your home on both 
January 2, 2008 and January 2, 2009 and the net property tax on your homestead 
increased by more than 12% and at least $100 from 2008 to 2009. The increase 
cannot be due to improvements to your home. This refund does not depend on your 
Homeowner and Renter Property Tax Refund Programs
You may be eligible if you are a homeowner and have household income of $98,290 
or less, or you are a renter and have a household income of $52,299 or less. 
Higher income limits apply if you have dependents or if you are a senior citizen 
or disabled. Your refund will depend on how high your property taxes or rent are 
relative to your income. The maximum refund for homeowners is $2,350, and the 
maximum refund for renters is $1,510.
You must also meet the following criteria
·         You must be a full-year or part-year Minnesota Resident
·         You cannot be a dependent
·         If you are a homeowner, your property must be your homestead
·         If you are a renter, you must live in a building on which property taxes are paid
·         Relative homesteads do not qualify
Senior Citizens Property Tax Deferral Program
The Senior Citizens Property Tax Deferral Program allows property taxpayers who 
are 65 years or older to defer a portion of their homestead property taxes until 
a later time. In this program, the taxpayer pays only 3% of the preceding year’s 
household income as property tax, and the rest of the property tax is deferred. 
Taxpayers are still allowed to file for property tax refund and any other 
property refunds the state may offer, however the amount of any refunds will be 
applied to the deferred property tax amount. 
In order to qualify for this program, all of the following criteria must be met:
* The property must be owned and occupied as a homestead by a person 65 years or older. If married, both must be at least 65 years old.
* Total household income must be $60,000 or less for the calendar year preceding the year of the initial application.
* The home must have been owned and occupied by one of the homeowners for at least 15 years before the initial application.
* There must be no state or federal tax liens or judgement liens on the property.
* The total unpaid balances of debts secured by mortgages and other liens on the property, including deferred tax and interest amounts under the program, unpaid and delinquent special assessments and property taxes, penalties and interest (but excluding the current year’s property taxes), do not exceed 75% of the assessor’s estimated market value for the current year.
To apply for the refund, complete form M1PR. This form is available at public libraries and at other locations where state tax forms are distributed. It can also be found at the Minnesota Department of Revenue website 
The Department of Revenue asks that taxpayers fill out the 2009 form M1PR claims by August 16, 2010. Taxpayers who file 2009 claims after August 15, 2011 will not receive a refund.
  * Applications are available in the county auditor’s office or may be obtained 
from the Minnesota Department of Revenue website at: 
Please contact theDepartment of Revenue at (651) 296-3781 or by e-mail at  . You can also check the status of your refund by calling (651) 296-4444 or visit and click on - Where is my property tax refund?

Home | Contact | Site Map | Accessibility | Disability Access | Policies & Practices | Copyright Notices | Powered by CivicPlus