General Application and Hiring Process Information
How to Apply:
A step-by-step PDF guide on how to apply online with the City of Saint Paul.
- Applicants are encouraged to apply early. Applications must be submitted with all required documentation prior to the 4:30 pm deadline on the job posting. Incomplete or late applications will not be accepted.
- Your application must include all relevant education and experience you possess. Human Resources reviews the information you provide to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the job. The information you provide may be rated as part of an examination.
- Read the job posting, requirements, and attach required documentation before submitting an application. (Each attached document is limited to 5 MB.) We recommend social security information to be removed. Human Resources does not accept resumes unless attached to a specific job posting.
- All notices will be sent to the email account associated with your application profile. If you need to create an email account, you can establish a free email account at AOL, Excite, Gmail, Hotmail, or Yahoo.
- Do not submit multiple applications unless revisions or additional documentation are necessary. The most recent application received before the deadline is considered and previous applications for the posting are inactivated.
- If you do not have computer access or scanning capabilities, computers are available in public libraries or the Office of Human Resources. Additional documentation may be submitted via mail, in person, email, or fax. Your name and the position you are applying for must be on every document. Office of Human Resources, 200 City Hall Annex, 25 W. Fourth Street, Saint Paul, MN 55102; Fax: 651-266-6490; e-mail.
- Misrepresentation or falsification of information or material omissions may result in rejection of current applications submitted or, if hired, subsequent discipline up to and including dismissal from employment.
- Future vacancies are filled from an eligible list of qualified candidates who pass the exam. Eligible lists generally exist for one year. Candidates as determined by the Civil Service Rules, are referred to the hiring supervisor for consideration. If the selection process is pass/fail, the names of all candidates who pass the examination are forwarded to the hiring department. When promotion candidates exist, promotion candidates have hiring preference.
- If you have questions or require special accommodations, contact the HR Consultant listed on the job announcement or call 651-266-6500.
Job Interviews - Hiring supervisors are not required to interview and hire candidates whose names they receive.
The City of Saint Paul honors veteran’s preference to qualified applicants in accordance with MN Statute 43A.11.
Internship and Volunteer Opportunities - Contact the specific department for more information.
Individuals may become certified as Section 3 residents if they receive public housing or if their family income falls below the Department of Housing & Urban Development (HUD) income limits.
Parks and Recreation Volunteer Opportunities
The City of Saint Paul Human Resources Department makes every attempt to insure the accuracy of the information contained on this website. The Human Resources Department is not responsible for failure of other agencies, internet service providers, or postal services to forward applications or notifications by the deadline.
Thank you for your interest in employment with the City of Saint Paul.
The City of Saint Paul is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer. Therefore we encourage applications from all individuals including persons with disabilities, persons of color, LGBT, and women.
This page was last updated on: 5/15/2013