On the day when we’re still burying children killed in Newtown, CT, the NRA has the audacity to say the answer is more guns and more violence that exposes our children to unprecedented dangers.
As a mayor, as a father, and as a citizen, I’m appalled by this reckless disregard for the safety of our children.
We must have a real conversation about how to protect our children and all members of our community that, among other items, includes:
- prohibiting the manufacture and sale of the military-style assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition clips
- federal legislation that addresses the broken background check system
- a legislative package that makes gun trafficking a felony
- directing the Justice Department to crack down on rogue gun dealers
- outlawing cop-killer bullets and similar ammunition
None of these solutions were offered by the NRA today which means they’ve proven they have no interest in being part of this conversation that stops crimes like this from happening again.
Our hearts continue to go out to the families affected by his heinous crime. As I gather with my family this holiday, they will all be in our hearts and prayers.