Edgcumbe Road Bridge
The new Edgcumbe Road bridge re-opened in July 2013. It is located within Highland Park just to the east of the 18-hole Highland National Golf Course.
The original bridge was constructed in 1916 to span across a natural wooded ravine. The City acquired the surrounding parkland in 1925. By the early 1930s, Highland Park offered some of the finest recreational amenities in the area, including golfing, tennis, playing fields, and swimming. In fact, the water for the "swimming hole" was drawn from nearby city watermains, and on either side of the bridge Works Progress Administration crews constructed limestone outfalls between the road catch basins and ravine. The city water and storm runoff combined to create an artificial stream that meandered through the valley bottom between short stacked limestone borders. Only the WPA-constructed wall segments, carefully preserved and partially restored as part of the bridge reconstruction project, remain today. A short walk downstream leads to the old pool pumphouse and clubhouse.
By 2010, the concrete bridge structure had deteriorated beyond possible repair. It was closed to vehicles and early project planning began. In June 2011, City bridge engineering staff proposed a new design concept that maintained many of the features and elements of the original bridge: reinforced concrete construction, concrete baluster railings, traditional geometry, etc. Like its predecessor, the new design also took advantage of modern technology, employing prestressed precast concrete beams to span the ravine. The final design was bid in August 2012, awarded to Lunda Construction Co., and the existing bridge was removed on October 31, 2012.
Construction crews worked on the new bridge through January 2013, completing the new substructure elements (piling, footings, abutments, and walls). Work resumed in early spring with setting of the precast beams and the forming and pouring of the new concrete deck. The concrete baluster railing was completed in early June, followed quickly by the asphalt approach roadway and concrete deck overlay. The completed bridge and roadway was opened to traffic in late July.
Though it largely resembles the original bridge with its baluster railings and modest scale, the new bridge offers improved facilities for pedestrians and bicycles. Loss of desirable tree species was minimized (including oak, hackberry, and cottonwood) and many invasive buckthorn trees were removed to accommodate construction, re-introducing sunlight to the old pool watercourse and limestone outfalls. Ornamental lantern lighting is provided on the four corners of the bridge and upon roadway approaches.
For additional project information please contact the bridge designer and project engineer, Brent Christensen, at (651)266-6182.