Kellogg Boulevard Reconstruction Project
Kellogg Boulevard bridge removals are winding down and crews are transitioning into the construction of foundations. At the Market Street Bridge, piers will be founded on drilled micropile. The St. Peter Street Bridge is primarily supported by spread footings; where unfavorable bluff conditions were observed, micropile will be used to ensure stability.
- The contractor moved into final removal phases of the St. Peter Street Bridge, completed placement of concrete fill areas, and began to pour concrete footings.
- The contractor implemented the corrective action plan to stabilize St. Peter Street Bridge pier walls. This work is required as a result of observed sandstone bluff conditions that were exposed during removals.
- A test micropile was installed on the Market Street Bridge; load capacity will be analyzed next week prior to placement of additional micropiles.
- Crews continued to install signal and lighting equipment under the Kellogg/Market road intersection.
- Concrete footing pours will continue for the St. Peter Street Bridge. Formwork will be delivered in preparation of concrete abutment wall pours.
- After testing, crews will drill and grout approximately 20 micropile for the Market Street Bridge foundations.
- Concrete curb and roadway pavement will be installed in north half of the Kellogg/Market intersection.
Click here for PDF road closure and detour map
Sign up for project updates
More than 80 years after its construction, the City of Saint Paul Public Works Department is reconstructing bridges along Kellogg Boulevard from Market Street to Wabasha Street. The $12 million construction project will begin on April 1 and last through November 2015.
This project will result in the closure of Kellogg Boulevard from Market Street to Wabasha Street, the southbound lanes on the Wabasha Bridge, and the Exchange Street viaduct for the duration of the project. Local access to parking facilities and businesses will be maintained throughout construction. Posted detours will redirect traffic along 7th Street and Robert Street.
Kellogg Boulevard in downtown Saint Paul is made up of several complex and relatively unknown bridges, which were designed to seamlessly integrate with the surrounding sidewalk, roadway, utilities and buildings. Originally built in the 1930s, these bridges now need to be replaced.
This is a complex project due to the location and intricacy of the bridges. Because of this, unavoidable and significant downtown traffic impacts are anticipated during construction. The City of Saint Paul is working closely with businesses in the area to effectively manage traffic, especially during the many events that occur at Xcel Energy Center, RiverCentre, and other nearby entertainment destinations during the summer.
For more information, contact the Bridge Division project team at 651-266-6224 or .