Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD)
offers the following suggestions to help fight impaired driving:
- Your best defense against a drunk driver is to wear your safety belt and be sure children are properly secured in child safety seats.
- Be a responsible host. Serve food and have non-alcoholic drinks available. Don't let your guests drive after drinking alcohol and never serve alcohol to someone under the age of 21.
- Write letters to the editor of local newspapers expressing your concern over drunk driving and underage drinking in your community.
- Never ride in a car operated by someone who has been drinking.
- Support measures to strengthen drunk driving laws by contacting elected officials.
- Report drunk drivers immediately to area law enforcement from a car phone or pay phone with the license plate number, description of the vehicle, and the direction in which it was traveling.
- Keep a safe distance from anyone driving erratically and do not try to intervene yourself.
If you or someone you love becomes the victim of a drunk driving crash, call (800) 438-6233 for victim assistance and support.