Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

1) I am selling or buying a house in Saint Paul. Whom should I call to make sure I have all the assessment information on the property?

Answer: Go to our Assessment Lookup to check for assessments on the property. You should also contact the following:


City of Saint Paul - Department of Safety & Inspections (DSI)

City charges that have not been sent to Real Estate/Assessments for processing as an assessment.


St. Paul Regional Water Services

Any unpaid water bills


Ramsey County - Department of Property Records and Revenue

Property taxes owed

2) Whom should I call with questions about city services?


Streets and alleys (24-hour service number) 651-266-9700
Sidewalk repair & replacement 651-266-6120
Alley reconstruction 651-266-6225
Street lighting 651-266-9777
Boulevard tree maintenance 651-266-6400
Sewer services 651-266-6250

3) I sent a payment for an assessment in December. Why was it returned to me?

At the end of each calendar year the City is required to “certify” to Ramsey County a calculated amount of principal and interest owed by any property with unpaid city assessments. This amount is placed on the county property tax statement mailed to each property owner the following spring.

Payments received after November 15th for certified assessments are no longer payable to the City of Saint Paul, therefore they are returned to the payee.