Police Officer Information
This information was last updated on July 24, 2019.
We are currently not accepting applications for Police Officer. Please fill out the form below to be notified of the next SPPD Police Officer hiring process.
The Saint Paul Police Department is respected for being a leader in Minnesota law enforcement. If you are interested in joining the men and women of the SPPD and serving a diverse community, read the following information:
Police Officer Requirements:
- You must be at least 21 years old.
- You must be a United States citizen.
- You must have a valid Minnesota Drivers License (Class D), or equivalent out-of-state license with no suspensions or revocations on your record within the last two years, prior to appointment (parking-related offenses may be excluded).
- You must not have any criminal convictions of gross misdemeanor or the equivalent level.
- You must not have any felony convictions; including pardons and/or expungements (according to Minnesota Statute 364.09).
- You must not have any physical/domestic assault or eluding the police convictions.
- You must be in good physical condition.
- You must successfully complete a background investigation, psychological examination and a medical examination.
- You must be Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) licensed or eligible to be licensed as a peace officer in the State of Minnesota, by the date of conditional offer for employment.
- If you have a college degree other than Law Enforcement, you must obtain a Law Enforcement Certificate from any eligible college/university in the State of Minnesota.
If you are a military veteran and are not POST certified:
- You must have served for at least five years of active service, in a Military Police capacity.
- You must apply for reciprocity with the Minnesota POST Board before you can be considered for employment.
How do you become POST eligible?
Contact the Minnesota State POST Board:
651-643-3060 or https://dps.mn.gov/post
Police Officer Transfers (currently accepting applications)
Police Officer Salary and Benefits
Minimum starting salary: $64,230.40 annually
- 1-5 years: 15 days
- 5-9 years: 20 days
- 10-14 years: 23 days
- 15-19 years: 25 days
- 20+ years: 27 days
Holidays: Ten days per year
For Additional Information, visit:
For more information about becoming a Peace Officer in Minnesota, click this link.
To watch the Police Officer recruitment video, click this link.
An Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity Employer
Complete the Police Officer Interest Form below to be notified of future SPPD Police Officer hiring process.