Mayoral Internship Program - ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR SUMMER 2017
Image: Mayor's Office staff and interns marching at the 2016 Twin Cities Pride Parade.
Mayor’s Office Internship Program
Positions Open Until Filled
Interns are essential to the Office of Mayor Chris Coleman. We rely on interns to help us provide professional and friendly service to the community. Join our team to gain a valuable experience in public service.
The Office of Mayor Chris Coleman offers unpaid internships to undergraduate or graduate students currently enrolled at an accredited college or university and non-traditional students. Recent graduates will also be considered. Those selected will have the opportunity to work closely with local Government appointees, gain networking experience and obtain institutional knowledge of government practices.
The City of Saint Paul is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Women, persons of color, members of the LGBT community, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Duties and Qualities:
- Provide friendly, welcoming and respectful service as the first point of contact in the Mayor’s Office
- Serve visitors to the Mayor’s Office by greeting and directing them appropriately
- Answer phones, screen calls and route calls accordingly
- Draft constituent communications per direction of supervisor
- Research and compile media clips
- Complete constituent logs
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software
- Effective communications – both written and oral; impeccable grammatical, spelling, and proofreading abilities
- Welcoming, respectful and equitable service to all constituents and parties
- Detail oriented, self-directed and willing to take initiative
- Reliable transportation to our office in City Hall
- Position ends September 1st
- Must be able to work 4-hour shifts minimum and a combined 16+ hours weekly M-F between 8AM-5PM. Preference for afternoon availability.
- Must commit to 1 weekly supervisor meeting
- Build your portfolio of work
- A creative, challenging, and supportive work environment
- Mentorship for public sector careers
- Exposure to municipal government and policymaking
- Develop communications and writing skills
Please email the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls or emails otherwise.
- Cover Letter, indicating scheduling availability (will not affect hiring decision)
- Writing Sample (two page maximum)
- Two References