Wilder Play Area
About Wilder Play Area Renovation
The City of Saint Paul Parks and Recreation has secured CIB funding to renovate the existing play area at Wilder Recreation Center. Improvements include:
- Equipment which meets CPSC and ADA guidelines
- Synthetic resilient surfacing for both accessibility and safety
Based on the results from community engagement meetings, the final design of the play area has been chosen.
June 20, 2016
- Demolition of the existing play area is complete and new concrete stairs and walks have been poured. The new play equipment is expected to be installed in the next week followed by picnic tables and benches. Play surfacing material, poured-in-place rubber surfacing and sand, will be installed after the play equipment. New ornamental fencing along Case and Edgerton will be installed the week of June 20, 2016. Landscaping includes new trees, plantings and sod and this will occur after the play area is installed.
- Brad Kaspari, Public Artist for the project, is currently working on developing sketches for an entry gateway feature at the corner of Case and Edgerton Street.
- Please remember the play area is closed during construction.
- Construction Photos
April 27, 2016
- Bids closed on April 27, 2016 at 2pm. A contractor has been selected and construction will begin the week of May 30, 2016. The play area will be closed during construction. We anticipate construction to be completed mid August, 2016.
Public Art Survey
Based on the results from the community meetings below, the final design of the play area has been chosen.
Pop-Up Design Camp: Saturday, April 18, 2015
You are invited to be part of the design process for the neighborhood play area renovation. A pop-up design camp will be held at Wilder playground on Saturday, April 18, 2015 from 9:00 to 11:00 am to collect your ideas, comments, needs and aspirations for the improvement of the existing play area. The stand will have information about play systems and play equipment. Children will have materials and fun design tools to select their favorite play options. This is an opportunity to exchange ideas for your future play area. Come join us in this renovation project kickoff celebration!
Play Area Concepts (Large file sizes. May take time to download)
Wilder Family Night Preliminary design boards were bought to Family Night at Wilder Recreation Center on November 20, 2014. Over 50 children and parents provided input on desires for playground “Must Haves”, playground styles and surfacing options!
- Pictures from Family Night: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
- Boards (PDF). - Large file size. May take time to download.
Project Funding: CIB