This is an annual program that began in the 1996-1997 Capital Improvement Budget (CIB) to systematically resurface or replace, if necessary, the 77 tennis courts and 33 outdoor basketball courts.
The outdoor courts provide valuable recreation opportunities to the public and need a systematic program to rebuild/resurface them to keep them in a safe and useable condition. Parks and Recreation has conducted a study and developed a system wide ranking based upon age, condition, use, safety, and then cross referenced alongside the 2010 Systems Plan recommendations.
Outdoor Court Restoration is funded by the Capital Improvement Budget (CIB).
2020-2021 - Annual Outdoor Courts Restoration
Webster Park (Ward 1, District 8)
- Scope of Work: Resurface basketball court including new posts and hoops. Remove single tennis court, tennis practice wall, and tennis fencing as recommended in the Parks and Recreation 2010 Systems plan.
Edgcumbe Recreation Center (Ward 3, District 14)
- Scope of Work: Fully remove and rebuild the eastern two tennis courts, posts, nets and fencing.
Prosperity Heights Park (Ward 6, District 2) – Bid Alternate
- Scope of Work: Resurface tennis and basketball courts including new basketball posts and hoops.
Eastview - St. Paul Urban Tennis Courts
St. Paul Urban Tennis (SPUT) operates out of St. Paul Parks and Recreation's Eastview Recreation Center (1675 East 5th Street). SPUT has received support from Parks and Recreation, the community, and St. Paul Parks Commission to develop 5 additional tennis courts at the park to support SPUT's growing programming need.
The courts will be developed immediately to the east of the newly reconstructed tennis courts and will include a rain garden infiltration basin to manage stormwater. The addition of the courts will allow baseball, soccer, and other sports to be played at the park. A graphic showing the layout can be seen here: Site Layout
SPUT has raised all the funds necessary to design and build the courts and will provide maintenance of the courts and raingarden.
Construction is set to begin Monday June 22nd. The schedule is roughly as follows:
- Demolition and earthwork - 2 weeks
- Paving and fencing - 2 weeks
- Stormwater basin and landscaping/site restoration - 2 weeks
- Pavement curing (no work) - 2 weeks
- Court painting/striping - 1 week
- Work should be complete around the end of August.
2019 Annual Outdoor Courts Restoration
- Installing approximately 50 LF of chain link fence on the south side of the new basketball court. Work to be tentatively completed early November 2020.
Eastview Park: St. Paul Urban Tennis (SPUT) Courts
The City is working with St. Paul Urban Tennis (SPUT) to add more full tennis courts at Eastview. A community meeting was held on Monday, May 14 at Eastview Recreation Center (view the pdf flyer here). We discussed options for court layout and the project timeline. SPUT anticipates adding the courts later this summer, with fall construction (weather permitting).
Meeting presentation (pdf)
Meeting minutes (pdf)
Previous Outdoor Court Restoration
2019 Completed Projects
- Carty Park - Tennis Courts & Resurfacing Basketball Court (Ward 1, District 8)
- W. Minnehaha Recreation Center - Tennis Courts & Kato Court (Ward 1, District 7)
2018 Completed Project
- Eastview - Tennis Court (Ward 7, District 2)
2017 Completed Projects
- Cayuga Park - Basketball Courts (Ward 1, District 6)
- Martin Luther King Recreation Center - Tennis Court (Ward 1, District 8)
- Baker Recreation Center - Tennis and Basketball Courts (Ward 2, District 3)
- Duluth and Case Recreation Center - Tennis Courts (Ward 6, District 3)