Theft from Auto
In the event that you are a victim of theft upon returning to your vehicle, call 651-291-1111 as soon as possible. Please call 911 to report a theft in progress. It only takes less a minute for thieves to steal property from your vehicle.
Protect yourself with the following tips from the Saint Paul Police Department:
- Don’t leave cell phones, lap top computers, wallets, purses, loose change, or any personal property in your unattended vehicle, even for a few minutes.
- If you must take some items of value with you, place these items in your trunk before you leave home.
- Record the serial numbers of your property, particularly stereos and their components.
When arriving at your destination:
- Be aware of other people in the parking lot.
- Lock your vehicle doors.
- Don't leave anything of value in your vehicle.
Property most often stolen from vehicles:
- Gym bags
- Cameras and camera equipment
- Laptop computers
- AM/FM stereos, speakers, boosters, etc.
- Car batteries (especially during winter)
- Hand tools, tool boxes, power tools
- Spare change