Shepard Davern Area Planning and Zoning Study
The Shepard Davern area is located at the southern end of West Seventh Street in Saint Paul. Just over the river from the Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport, this area is a truly mixed-use district with high density housing, commercial buildings and industrial uses all within close proximity. The area is adjacent to the Mississippi River and Crosby Farms Park as well as the Highland bluffs as well, providing natural amenities for residents. With these unique resources, the Shepard Davern area is important to the landscape of Saint Paul.
In 1999, a small area plan was written for the area, and zoning overlay districts and a sign plan were put in place to help guide development. In 2005, the area was called out in the Highland District Plan as an important commercial district. The study examined existing tools and plans for the area, and put forward updates for the future of Shepard Davern. As seen in the image above, the Shepard Davern study area starts at the west with the Highway 5-West Seventh Street Bridge, following Shepard Road east to Homer Street, north to West Seventh Street, west to Saint Paul Avenue, west to Edgcumbe Road.
The Saint Paul City Council held public hearings on the Shepard Davern Plan & District 15 Plan Amendment and the Shepard Davern Zoning Study on January 21, 2015. On January 21, the City Council passed a resolution adopting the final version of the Shepard Davern Area Plan. On January 28, the City Council passed an ordinance adopting zoning changes consistent with the recommendation from the Planning Commission. See this memofrom the Neighborhood Planning Committee for more details on process.
Shepard Davern Area Plan and Zoning Study information
Shepard Davern Area Plan
- Proposed Shepard Davern plan
- Proposed update of the Summary of the District 15
- The draft Shepard Davern plan would be adopted as a new addendum to the City's Comprehensive Plan. The draft updated Summary is an update of the existing addendum to the Comprehensive Plan. See this memo from the Neighborhood Planning Committee for more details on process.
Shepard Davern Zoning Study
- Map of final zoning - As approved by City Council, January 28, 2015
- List of properties for rezoning(Information on the zoning districts can be found in the below link to "Report...")
- Report on the Shepard Davern Zoning Study(revised 8-20-14) - provides more detailed information
- Map of Previous Zoning
- Planning Commission Resolution recommending proposed zoning to City Council
- Public Comments from Planning Commission public hearing
Community Task Force
A task force was appointed by the Saint Paul Planning Commission to develop recommendations for the study area. The task force is comprised of residents, business owners, and non-profit representatives from the area, and met regularly through 2013 and into 2014.
- Meeting #1, March 13: Introductions and Kick-Off
- At the first meeting of the task force, the group did introductions and talked about their backgrounds and interests. The task force role was discussed, as well as expectations for future meetings. Staff gave a presentation reviewing planning projects in the area. A draft work plan was discussed, and the group was asked to complete a SWOT (Strengths-Weaknesses-Opportunities-Threats) assignment to further refine the work plan, and to set forward issues to review at an upcoming community meeting.
- Meeting #2, April 10: Zoning and Work Plan
- Open House, May 8: Community Open House at Graham Place Senior Apartments
- Meeting #3, June 12: Commerce and Industry Agenda
- Meeting #4, July 10: Parks and Recreation
- Meeting #5, August 14: Planning Processes
- Meeting #6, September 11: Housing
- Meeting #7, October 9
- Meeting #8, November 13
- Meeting #9, January 8
- Meeting #10, February 12
- Meeting #11, March 12
- Meeting #12, April 9
- Agenda TBA
- Community meetings and open houses on zoning.
History of Planning and Zoning
The Shepard Davern area has been the focus of many planning efforts in recent years, as summarized below with links to full documents.
- Shepard Davern Small Area Plan and Saint Paul Gateway Project (1999)
- Shepard Davern Commercial and Residential Overlay Districts
- Shepard Davern Special Sign District
- Fort Road Development Plan (2005)
- District 15 Highland Park District Plan (2005)
- Great River Passage Plan (ongoing)