Special Events & Permitting


Saint Paul has always been a diverse city of neighborhoods. Our festivals, sporting events, and community-based celebrations demonstrate our civic pride and spirit. The City of Saint Paul is pleased to host hundreds of events annually, all of which contribute to the vitality of the most livable city in America.

Any individual or organization planning on hosting a block party, community festival, parade, race or public assembly in city parks or streets must apply and receive a permit for the event. The Saint Paul Police Department Community Engagement Unit (CEU) manages the permit applications and approval process for all events that will impact city streets. Saint Paul Parks and Recreation manages the permitting process for all events held on park land.

The First Amendment

The Saint Paul Police Department recognizes the right of the people to peacefully assemble as protected by the Constitution of the United States of America. We've created a brochure that helps to explain those rights, as well as reasonable limitations that can be imposed on events in order to protect the health, safety, and welfare of all. The Saint Paul Police Department will not deny a permit for an event due to its perceived controversial or unpopular content.

Exemptions for Small Block Parties

The City of Saint Paul encourages the holding of small block parties that do not adversely impact traffic, parking, and public safety. Therefore, while small block party organizers must still apply for a Chapter 366 (Class B) block party  permit (found in the following section), they are exempt from permit fees, insurance, and indemnity requirements provided that:

  • No food or beverages are sold to the public;
  • The street, sidewalk, or alley involved is totally residential in nature and does not cover an area greater than one (1) city block in length and does not encompass an intersection;
  • The event is held between the hours of 8:00 AM and sunset; and
  • Application for a permit is made at least thirty (30) calendar days prior to the event; provided, however, that the time limit may be waived by the chief of police (or his designee) at his or her discretion upon a determination of hardship to the applicant and no adverse effect on public health, safety, or welfare is present.

Which Street Permit Do I Need?

  • Class B permits are covered under Saint Paul City Ordinance 366, and encompass block parties and community festivals - both of which usually require the closure of a street or other public area for a static event.

Chapter 366 (Class B) Event Permit Application

  • A different permit is required for parades, races, and public assemblies. These permits are covered under Saint Paul City Ordinance 366A - these events are usually fluid in nature and move from one location to another.

Chapter 366A Event Permit Application

Special Events Community Calendar

The City of Saint Paul provides a calendar of permitted special events scheduled to occur on public property. Those who live, work, or re-create in Saint Paul are invited to view the calendar in order to make plans to enjoy the most livable city in America.  The calendar provides information on the name of the event, the date(s) of the event, road closure locations and times, event point-of-contact and event website (if applicable).  These road closures will include the Mississippi River Boulevard/Shepard Road/Summit Avenue as well.


Planning an Event on Park Property

The Saint Paul Police Department does not have the authority to permit events on city park property. If you are planning an event on park property, please refer to the following resources:

Department of Safety and Inspections (DSI) Special Event-related Permits

DSI requires permits for some aspects of special events. They have their own webpage that will help you learn more about safety and licensing requirements for events. They also have a special section on skyway use if your event will be utilizing one.

Planning an Event on State Capitol Property

If you are planning an event that will take place on capitol grounds, you must obtain a separate state-issued permit. You can visit the State Capitol Public Events page to locate capitol permit applications and related resources.

National Night Out

National Night Out information.