The City of Saint Paul is proposing to implement bikeway improvements along sections of Pelham Boulevard, Myrtle Avenue, and Raymond Avenue in Summer 2017.
The purpose of the proposed improvements is to
- implement traffic calming along Pelham Boulevard by narrowing the travel lanes to slow traffic speeds
- improve safety and comfort for people using bicycles within the project area by providing protected bike lanes
- improve safety and comfort for people walking within the project area by making Pelham Boulevard travel lanes narrower and easier to cross
- implement the recommendations of the Saint Paul Grand Round Design and Implementation Plan
City staff held an Open House to learn about the proposed improvements, view project information, and provide feedback. The meeting was:
Tuesday, January 17, 2017
Merriam Park Recreation Center
2000 Saint Anthony Avenue
- 1-17-17 Open House Presentation
- 1-17-17 Open House Boards (1 of 2)
- 1-17-17 Open House Boards (2 of 2)
District Council Coordination
The city has received letters of support from the two District Councils in the project area:
- Download a letter of support from Union Park District Council.
- Download a letter of support from Saint Anthony Park Community Council.
The project was presented to the Transportation Committee of the Planning Commission. The meeting was:
Monday, April 10, 2017
13th Floor Conference Room, City Hall Annex
25 W Fourth Street
Download a copy of the presentation materials.
The Transportation Committee recommended implementation of the proposed project.
Public Hearing and Final Approval
There will be a public hearing at City Council. All are invited to attend and provide public testimony in favor or in opposition to the project. The public hearing will be:
Wednesday, June 7, 2017
City Hall and Courthouse
15 W Kellogg Boulevard
City Council Chambers - 3rd Floor
If you can not attend the public hearing, you can email comments to email@example.com to have them included in the public record.
Download a copy of the public hearing announcement mailed to neighborhood properties.
Pending approval from City Council, the project will be implemented in Summer 2017.
This is a component of the Saint Paul Grand Round. The Grand Round planning process implemented a set of both short-term and long-term improvements to the Grand Round, which includes the project area. City staff is proposing to implement the short-term, or "interim", improvements at this time.
The short-term improvements include implementation of a two-way in-street protected bikeway along Pelham Boulevard between Mississippi River Boulevard and Myrtle Avenue, and along Myrtle Avenue between Pelham Boulevard and Raymond Avenue. In-street bicycle lanes (unprotected) will be added to Raymond Avenue between Myrtle Avenue and University Avenue. The two-way protected bikeway will include flexible delineators separating the roadway from the bikeway.
Implementing the bikeway will require removing on-street parking from:
- the east side of Pelham Boulevard between Mississippi River Boulevard and Myrtle Avenue
- the west side of Pelham Boulevard between Mississippi River Boulevard and Doan Avenue
- the south side of Myrtle Avenue between Pelham Boulevard and Raymond Avenue