It's quite natural for a dog or cat not to soil its own yard, but to find some other area. They often head for your neighbor's yard, garden, or child's sandbox. Even the friendliest neighbors may become angry when your dog or cat wanders onto their lawn, soils their yard, and digs up grass and flowers.
Tips for Pet Owners
- Teach your dog to use a certain portion of your own yard.
- Place some of the droppings in one area of the yard.
- Take the dog to that spot when it is necessary for him to use it, so he can see where he should be defecating.
- When your dog relieves itself, praise it.
- Meanwhile, spray other locations it used previously with a good commercial dog repellent. The odor will help keep your dog away from forbidden places, and it will start using the location you selected.
- Cats should be litter-box trained.