Becoming a TISH Evaluator
The City of Saint Paul Truth-in-Sale of Housing program offers a test for individuals who wish to become licensed with the City to perform Truth-in-Sale of Housing evaluations on single family homes, duplexes, condominiums, and townhouses offered for sale in the City of Saint Paul.
The 2018 TISH Evaluator exam will be held on Thursday, November 8, 2018, from 9:00 AM-12:00 PM.
The 2018 TISH Evaluator exam application deadline is Wednesday, October 31, 2018 at 4:30 PM.
This is a 3 part application and testing process:
1. Complete the Application form and submit it with your application fee.
- Complete the application and pay the $175 application fee by the deadline (Wednesday, October 31, 2018 at 4:30 PM).
- Test prerequisite: the application requires proof of passing a third-party, national, home inspector’s exam such as the NHIE; we will also accept proof of passing a prior NAHI exam.
- Only exams where the individual taking the test has his/her identity verified by the test administrator will be accepted; non-proctored exams, such as interNACHI, are not currently approved by the Board.
- Saint Paul does not accept licenses from other jurisdictions in lieu of passing the third-party exam.
2. Take/Pass a Written Exam
- The exam will be administered on Thursday, November 8, 2018, from 9:00 AM-12:00 PM.
- The exam location will be sent to you after your application is accepted.
- This is a closed-book exam; however, you may bring and use a calculator.
- The written exam is approximately 100 to 150 questions in true/false, multiple choice and short-answer format.
- You must be available on this date and time in order to take the written test and be eligible for licensing in Saint Paul.
- Three hours will be allocated for completing the written test; most applicants finish within one to two hours.
- You must receive a score of 75% or better to pass this test and go onto the practical exam.
3. Complete/Pass a Test House (Practical Exam)
- The final step is to evaluate a “test house” as if you are evaluating for a client in the City of Saint Paul.
- You must pass both the written and the test house portions of the examination process to be eligible to receive your Truth-in-Sale of Housing Evaluator license.
- Information regarding the Test House portion will be provided to those who pass the written exam.
Pay particular attention to the application requirements and the application deadline. We cannot accept late applications. You must pay in advance; we can accept payment by cash, check or credit card by fax, mail or in person. Contact a TISH program representative for specifics if you choose to fax your application and pay by credit card. No application fees will be taken the day of the test.
Testing for Evaluators occurs every two (2) years; the next test will be administered in 2020.