Becoming a TISH Evaluator
The City of Saint Paul Truth-in-Sale of Housing program (TISH) offers a test every two years for individuals who wish to become licensed with the City to perform TISH evaluations. TISH evaluations are only applicable to single family homes, duplexes, condominiums, and townhouses offered for sale in the City of Saint Paul. The date for the next exam to take place in 2020 has not yet been determined. Check back at the end of September 2020.
The test includes a three-part application and testing process:
1. Complete the Application form and submit it with your application fee.
- Test prerequisite: you must provide proof of passing a third-party, national, home inspector’s exam such as the NHIE; we will also accept proof of passing a prior NAHI exam.
- Only exams where the individual taking the test has his/her identity verified by the test administrator will be accepted; non-proctored exams, such as interNACHI, are not currently approved by the Board.
- Saint Paul does not accept licenses from other jurisdictions in lieu of passing the third-party exam.
- The application will be drafted once a date has been selected for the exam. The application, along with the fee, will be due by the deadline provided in the notice of the exam.
2. Take/Pass a Written Exam
- You must be available on the date and time scheduled for the written test in order to be eligible for licensing in Saint Paul.
- The exam location will be sent after the application is accepted.
- This is a closed-book exam; however, calculators are admitted.
- The written exam is approximately 100 to 150 questions in true/false, multiple choice, and short-answer format.
- Three hours will be allocated for completing the written test; most applicants finish within one to two hours.
- You must receive a score of 75% or better to pass the test in order to take the practical exam.
3. Complete/Pass a Test House (Practical Exam)
- The final step is to evaluate a “test house” as if you are evaluating a property for a client in the City of Saint Paul.
- You must pass both the written and test house portions of the examination to be eligible to receive your Truth-in-Sale of Housing Evaluator license.
- Information regarding the test house will be provided to those who pass the written exam.
Pay particular attention to the application requirements and the application deadline. We cannot accept late applications. You must pay in advance; we can accept payment by cash, check or credit card by fax, mail or in person. Contact a TISH program representative for specifics if you choose to fax your application and pay by credit card. No application fees will be taken the day of the test.
Testing for Evaluators occurs every two (2) years; the next test will be administered in 2020.