Building Contractor License
The City of Saint Paul requires that all residential building contractors and residential remodelers performing general building or remodeling on a structure that has four or less dwelling units (including detached garages) be licensed.
The City honors the State of Minnesota Residential Building Contractor License. If the contractor has a State Exemption from the State of Minnesota or performs only one special skill, then a City of Saint Paul Building Contractor license is required.
The owner of the structure does not need a license if they are doing the general building or remodeling themselves.
Contractors performing two or more special skills require a State of Minnesota Residential Building Contractor License or a State of Minnesota Residential Remodeler License. Roofing requires a State of Minnesota Residential Roofer License.
See Chapter 326 of the Saint Paul Legislative Code for information about building contractors.
You must submit the following:
- A completed Licensing Class R Application
- Proof of State exemption, if applicable
- Worker's Compensation Form
- A $2,500 License, Permit and Performance Bond
- A Certificate of Insurance: General liability in the amount of $25,000/$50,000 and Property Damage in the amount of $5,000. The City of Saint Paul must be named as an additional insured and there must be 30-day notice of cancelation
The required fee
The annual fee for a City of Saint Paul Contractor License is $191.00.
Expiration/Renewal: Your license will expire one year from the date of application OR the earliest expiration of your bond and/or insurance. The bond & insurance must be obtained from an agency authorized to do business in the State of Minnesota, and the insurance and bond expiration dates must coincide. Have the bonding company make the bond continuous until canceled.