2016 Water Charges
The Board of Water Commissioners conducted a public hearing at 5 p.m. on Sept. 8, 2015, at Saint Paul Regional Water Services, 1900 Rice Street, to receive comments on the proposed 2016 water charges.
Following public comment, they voted to recommend the proposed water charges to the Saint Paul City Council. The Council established the water charges by resolution following a public hearing as part of the 2016 budget actions. The charges are effective as of January 1, 2016.
Water charges in 2016 include:
- a water service base fee, based on water meter size.
- a water-usage charge, based on water volume rates and consumption.
- a water main replacement surcharge, based on consumption.For the cities of Saint Paul, Falcon Heights, Lauderdale, Maplewood, Mendota Heights, and West Saint Paul.
- a Right of Way Recovery fee.For the residents of Saint Paul only.
Water Service Base Fees for 2016*
|Meter Size||2015 Fee||2016 Proposed Fee|
|Smaller than 1"||$12/quarter||$15/quarter|
|1 1/2" (Residential)||$60/quarter||$75/quarter|
|1 1/2" (Commercial)||$20/month||$25/month|
* For the cities of Saint Paul, Falcon Heights, Lauderdale, Maplewood, Mendota Heights, and West Saint Paul. All other communities pay 20% more.
Water Usage Charge
The 2015 water volume rates and the 2016 proposed water volume rates are shown below: Water Volume Rates*
* For the cities of Saint Paul, Falcon Heights, Lauderdale, Maplewood, and West Saint Paul. All other communities pay 20% more.
Water Main Replacement Surcharge
The 2016 proposed water main replacement surcharge is $0.20 per billing unit of water used for the cities of Saint Paul, Falcon Heights, Lauderdale, Maplewood, Mendota Heights, and West Saint Paul. For a single family, residential property using 22 units a quarter, this would amount to $4.40 per quarter for these communities where the infrastructure is owned by SPRWS. This remains the same as 2015.
Impact on a typical residential customer's water bill
Typical water consumption for a single family, residential property is 22 units (16,456 gallons) per quarter. (88 units per year.) The result of the combination of the water service base fee, the water usage fee (water volume), and the water main replacement surcharge for a single family, residential property with a meter smaller than one inch would be $321.76 a year for water. This is up from the $309.76 for water charges for the year in 2015.
Saint Paul customers would add an additional $4.50 per quarter for the Right of Way recovery fee noted below.
Right of Way Recovery Fees for City of Saint Paul Customers
Right of Way recovery fees were introduced by the city of Saint Paul in 2012 as a means to obtain reimbursement for costs the city of Saint Paul incurs as a result of buried infrastructure owned by the water utility situated within the city Right of Way. These fees will remain unchanged for 2016.