2019 Proposed Water Charges
The Board of Water Commissioners held a public hearing on Sept. 11, 2018, to receive comments on the proposed 2019 water charges.
Following public comment, the Board held their regular meeting and recommended that the proposed budget be approved by the Saint Paul City Council as part of the city’s budget process.
The City Council will establish the water charges by resolution following a public hearing as part of the 2019 budget actions.
The proposed charges, if approved, will be effective as of January 1, 2019.
2019 proposed budget tri-fold brochure (best read printed and folded) PDF
Proposed water charges in 2019 include:
- a water service base fee, based on water meter size.
- a water-usage charge, based on water volume rates and consumption.
- a water main replacement surcharge, based on consumption. For the cities of Saint Paul, Falcon Heights, Lauderdale, Maplewood, Mendota Heights, and West Saint Paul.
- a Right of Way Recovery fee. For the residents of Saint Paul only.
Water Service Base Fees proposed for 2019
The 2018 water water service base fees and the 2019 proposed water service base fees are shown below. They remain unchanged in 2019.
Charge to accounts in Saint Paul, Falcon Heights, Lauderdale, Maplewood, and West St. Paul
Proposed charge to accounts in Saint Paul, Falcon Heights, Lauderdale, Maplewood, and West St. Paul (unchanged from 2018)
Proposed charge to accounts in all other cities (unchanged from 2018)
|Smaller than 1"||$18/quarter||$21.60/quarter||$18/quarter||$21.60/quarter|
|1" (Single Family Dwelling*)||$18/quarter||$21.60/quarter||$18/quarter||$21.60/quarter|
|1 1/2" (Residential)||$90/quarter||$108/quarter||$90/quarter||$108/quarter|
|1 1/2" (Commercial)||$30/month||$36/month||$30/month||$36/month|
* 1-inch single family dwelling is an account supplied by a dedicated 1-inch or smaller street service connection and for which the property structure is described in county property tax records as either single family dwelling or townhome.
Water Usage Charge
The 2018 water volume rates and the 2019 proposed water volume rates are shown below:
Water Main Replacement Surcharge
The 2019 proposed water main replacement surcharge is $0.20 per billing unit of water used for the cities of Saint Paul, Falcon Heights, Lauderdale, Maplewood, Mendota Heights, and West Saint Paul.
For a single family, residential property using 17 units a quarter, this would amount to $3.40 per quarter for these communities where the infrastructure is owned by SPRWS. This is unchanged from 2018.
Impact on a typical residential customer's water bill
Typical water consumption for a single family, residential property is 17 units (12,716 gallons) per quarter. (68 units per year.)
The result of the combination of:
- the water service base fee
- the water usage fee (water volume),
- the right of way recovery fee (Saint Paul Residents)
- the water main replacement surcharge
for a single family, residential property with a meter smaller than one inch or has a 1" single-family meter would be $301.48 a year for water.
This is up from the $295.36 for water charges for the year in 2018. This is an increase of $6.12 per year or a $2.1% increase for the typical customer.
Right of Way Recovery Fees for City of Saint Paul Customers
Right of Way recovery fees were introduced by the city of Saint Paul in 2012 as a means to obtain reimbursement for costs the city of Saint Paul incurs as a result of buried infrastructure owned by the water utility situated within the city Right of Way. These fees will remain unchanged for 2019.