Incentives are available to individuals and businesses in Saint Paul that generate solar or wind power, including:
- Wind and Solar-Electric (PV) Systems Exemptions exclude the value added to property by solar-electric (PV) systems from Minnesota property tax valuation.
- Solar Sales Tax Exemption exempts solar-energy systems from the state sales tax.
- State of Minnesota Solar-Electric (PV) Rebate Program is a program administered by the Minnesota Department of Commerce and funded by Xcel Energy that buys-down the up-front costs of grid-connected, solar-electric systems, with a maximum award of $20,000 per system.
- Solar and Wind Easements are permitted under Minnesota law.
- Cities, counties, hospitals and schools are eligible for theEnergy Investment Loan Program, which buys down the loan principal to achieve 0% interest for any specific renewable energy, energy efficiency or energy conservation “capital improvement” in Minnesota with a simple payback of 10 years or less.
- The Saint Paul Neighborhood Energy Connection (NEC) provides many energy conservation services to the public, including energy audits and ENERGY STAR home consultation and certification. NEC also links people to solar power resources, such as financing for solar installation and information about tax incentives for solar power.