To sign up for additional garbage services, contact your designated garbage hauler. You can find out who your hauler is by using our interactive map

Anchor Link

Yard Waste Collection

Child Raking Leaves

All haulers offer seasonal yard waste services for an additional fee. Seasonal yard waste service is available from April 15 until November 30 each year (weather-permitting). You can choose from two options:

Subscription Service: You can set out a yard waste cart and up to 8 compostable bags to be collected each week ($120 per year). This is an annual fee and is not pro-rated based on the start or end of service. Yard waste service is automatically renewed--if you had subscription yard waste service in 2020, you will will not need to renew your yard waste subscription service for 2021. If you wish to cancel yard waste service you must call your hauler. if you wish to start yard waste service contact your hauler to set up service and get a yard waste cart. 


Non-Subscription Service: You can set out a compostable bag or bundle of yard waste beside your garbage cart ($3 per bag/bundle). Call your hauler to request this service at least 48 hours before your regular garbage collection day. Your hauler will tell you which day to put your compostable bag(s) or bundle(s) out for collection.

Additional Information:

  • Yard waste service is not available as walk-up service.
  • All yard waste must be placed in a yard waste cart or a certified compostable bag.
  • Yard waste bags or bundles cannot exceed 40 pounds or two feet in diameter and three feet in length.
  • Tree stumps, dirt, or rocks are not allowed in yard waste collection.
  • Yard waste may be collected on a different day from your regular garbage service.
Anchor Link

The Citywide Garbage program has two options for temporarily stopping garbage service. 

Temporary Service Hold

Vacant Building

If you are going to be away from home for at least four consecutive weeks, you can suspend your garbage service during that time. Temporary absences for service holds can include, but are not limited to: extended vacations, temporary employment or education relocation, extended absence due to health reasons, or other similar situations. Service holds may not be used to avoid paying for service if a residence is occupied. 

To suspend garbage service, you must notify your hauler at least two weeks prior to any service hold start date. Service holds can be placed twice per year, must be made for a minimum of four weeks, and can be up to a total of 26 weeks. If your unit is going to be vacant for an extended period of time, please contact the City at our garbage information line, 651-266-6101, to discuss available options.

Download the Temporary Service Hold application form and mail it back to your designated hauler directly.  Find your hauler's information by using our interactive map.

If a hauler denies a property owner's request for a service hold, the property owner can appeal a service hold denial to the City. Saint Paul Public Works will review the resident’s request, and if it's determined the request meets the contract criteria for a service hold, the City will work with the hauler to resolve the issue. To submit a service hold denial appeal to the City, please email the details of the requested service hold, including property address, property owner contact information, designated hauler, dates requested service hold, date of when the request was submitted to hauler, and/or reason for denial to

Unoccupied Dwelling Unit Registration

Property owners that have a vacant unit can request an Unoccupied Dwelling Registration Form to suspend service until the unit becomes occupied. Unoccupied Dwelling Registrations go in to effective the 1st of the month after the month they are received by the City of Saint Paul and are evaluated annually. Download the Unoccupied Dwelling Registration Form and email the completed form to or by mail. For more information call the Garbage Program at 651-266-6101.

Anchor Link

Walk-Up Service

If you have special physical needs or limitations, all garbage haulers can provide free walk-up service for garbage collection if needed.

If you do not meet the criteria as a less able-bodied individual, you can pay for walk-up service based on the distance your cart is located from your designated alley/curb collection location.

  • Less than 100 feet: $25 per month (plus tax).
  • More than 100 feet: $50 per month (plus tax).

All garbage placed inside of your cart for walk-up service must be bagged and weigh less than 40 pounds. Additional services, such as bulky or yard waste collection, are not available as a walk-up service.

To sign up for walk-up service, download the Walk-Up Application form and mail it back to your designated hauler directly. You can locate your hauler's mailing information by using our interactive map.

Anchor Link

Bulky Item Collection Service

Depending on your service level, two or three bulky items can be collected from each property/unit each year at no additional cost. Additional bulky item collection is available for a fee, depending on the size of the item.

Find more information on bulky item collection.

Last Edited: December 15, 2020