Anchor Link

Garbage Service Billing Process 

  1. Haulers mail out invoices on the 5th day of the first month of quarterly service (January, April, July, and October). The invoice covers the next three months. Ex. January bill is for service provided January, February, March.
  2. Payment is due the 25th of the billing month. In order for your hauler to receive payment, it must clear your bank or financial institution by the due date.

  3. Payments not received by the due date, will incur a late fee of 5% and the end of each month of the billing cycle. Up to three late fees are possible per billing cycle.

  4. At the end of the quarter, all unpaid bills are turned over to the City for assessment. Your hauler can no longer take payment for that quarter. 

Anchor Link

Assessment Process Overview

Quarterly Bill Sent to City of Saint Paul for Collection

It is now classified as a pending property tax assessment* with the city. Your hauler can no longer take payment for this quarterly bill. The City of Saint Paul  will send out an Invoice and Final Notice to the resident. The resident then has 30 days to pay the pending assessment. After 30 days the pending assessment will be sent for approval through the ratification of assessment process to be added to the resident's property taxes. During this time you can pay your bill online or by mail, for more information on payment options visit Assessments

*If you have general questions about the assessment process, you can contact the assessment department at 651-266-8858.

Notice of Legislative Hearing

If the City of Saint Paul does not receive payment of the delinquent charges by the due date on the “Invoice and Final Notice,” the City will send out a second notice titled Public Hearing Notice Ratification of Assessment. This will include a scheduled date, time, and location for a legislative hearing that residents are able to attend if they wish to contest the assessment. Please note that it is not mandatory to attend these hearings. The notice will include a webform URL to enter your request for a legislative hearing at the assigned date and time. Please call 651-266-6101 if you need assistance.

Legislative Hearing Process

To contest the assessment, submit a request for a legislative hearing online or by phone 651-266-6101 and attend the scheduled hearing date. During your hearing, the legislative hearing officer will make a recommendation about the assessment. This recommendation will be provided to the City Council for their approval of the final assessment roll. If you disagree with the legislative hearing officer’s recommendation, you may attend the City Council hearing to dispute the recommendation.

City Council Votes to Send Assessment to Ramsey County

If the pending assessment is still unpaid at the time of the scheduled City Council Hearing, it will be approved by City Council and the balance will be sent to Ramsey County to be assessed to your property. If a bill is assessed to the property by Ramsey County, it will incur additional administration fees of $2.50. You can pay the bill with Ramsey County Property Taxes.

Anchor Link

Assessment and Billing FAQs

If you do not see the answer to your question in this list, please contact the city's garbage program by calling 651-266-6101 or by emailing

    Anchor Link

    If a bill is not paid to the hauler by the end of the billing cycle the balance is paid by the city, zeroing out the resident’s account with the hauler, and then is collected through the property tax assessment process.

    Anchor Link

    Depending on when you made a payment to your hauler, you may still be responsible for paying the delinquent charge to the City:

    • If you made a payment to your hauler after the end of the billing quarter that payment will be applied to the current billing cycle. You are still responsible for paying the delinquent charge to the City.
    • If you made a full payment (including any late fees) to your hauler before the end of quarter and believe the delinquent charge was issued in error, please send an email to Public Works will investigate the issue to help you resolve the matter with the hauler.
    Anchor Link

    Yes. The City charges the delinquent balance to the property, not the owner. Because the previous owner left a portion of their bill unpaid, the new property owner is now responsible for the unpaid amount. You can try to contact your title company to recover the outstanding amount the previous owner failed to pay, but you are ultimately responsible for the unpaid bill.

    Anchor Link

    You will have the opportunity to speak at a legislative hearing if you would like to dispute your delinquent charge. However, under citywide garbage service, all residential properties up to four units are required to have a garbage cart and receive garbage service for each dwelling unit. There is no option to opt out of citywide garbage service.

    Anchor Link

    If the invoice goes unpaid, a late fee of 5% of the original invoice will be applied at the end of the first, second, and third month of quarterly service.

    Anchor Link

    You are not required to attend your scheduled legislative hearing. You can attend the hearing if you wish to dispute the delinquent charge.

    Anchor Link

    If you do not dispute your bill with the city then the City Council will approve the assessment. The council approved assessment will be sent to Ramsey County for inclusion on your property tax statement. You will see the delinquent charges, as well as an additional service charge of $2.50, on your next property tax statement.

Last Edited: February 5, 2021