Reservations are not issued for bonfires in fire rings in Saint Paul parks. Fire rings are available on a first-come, first-served basis at the following parks: Como, Hidden Falls, Highland, Newell, and Phalen.
A fire ring is also available in the Crosby Shelter, which can be reserved during the picnic season (approximately May - September) with payment of the applicable permit fee. Application for permits must be made at least seven days in advance of an event.
After September 30, it is also available on a first-come, first-serve basis. For more information, please call (651) 632-5111.
No permit is required from the Division of Parks and Recreation or the Fire Department for a bonfire on park property as long as the following requirements are met:
- All recreational bonfires shall be in designated fire rings only.
- Fuel area can be no larger than 3' in diameter and 2' high.
- Cut fire wood permitted only. All other materials are prohibited including rubbish, paper products, construction materials, pallets, and processed wood.
- Any condition which could cause a fire to spread to within 25' of a structure shall be eliminated prior to ignition.
- A means shall be provided to extinguish the fire. This can include buckets, shovels, garden hoses (if a water source is available), or a minimum 4-A fire extinguisher.
- Fires shall be constantly attended by a person knowledgeable in the use of the fire-extinguishing equipment provided.
- Fires shall not be ignited if the wind speed is 10 mph or more.
- Wood to be burned shall not be brought to site prior to an event.
- All unused wood must be removed from park.