Saint Paul Minnesota The most livable city in America.
Go To Search
Business Sign Permit
General Information

The Saint Paul Legislative Code requires all business signs installed within the City of Saint Paul be installed under a permit. A sign permit is required for new signs or to reface existing signs within the City of Saint Paul. If a sign contractor is hired by the property owner, the sign contractor is responsible for obtaining the proper permit and license.

Code Requirements

See Chapter 64 of the City of Saint Paul Legislative Code for information about business signs. Wall, Free Standing, Projecting, Roof, Awning and Portable Signs are all issued with the sign permit application form. If a sign is part of the awning, a permit for both the sign and the awning is required. Special sign districts in the City of Saint Paul are as follows: Smith Avenue, Highland Village, Grand Avenue, St. Anthony Park, Hamline Midway, Merriam Park, Snelling Hamline, West Side, Dayton's Bluff, Shepard/Davern, North End/ South Como, Macalester/Groveland, Sunray/Battle Creek/Highwood (District One Community Council), Greater Eastside (White Bear Ave., Payne Ave., Phalen Boulevard/Phalen Village and Arcade Street), Thomas/Dale, White Bear Ave., Downtown Area and Heritage Preservation districts need special approval. If signs are illuminated, an electrical permit will also be required.

Application Requirements

You must submit an application that includes the following:

  • A completed Sign Permit Application Form
  • A Site Plan showing size of property, street frontage, location of building on property, location of all new signs and, if a corner lot, show the street frontage of all side abutting the street
  • A drawing of all new signs to be installed
  • If free standing or roof sign larger than 50 square feet, Structural Plans including the attachment detail to the roof system, signed by an engineer
  • If a projecting sign, show attachment details to the building and, if it projects over public property, show how many feet it projects (no sign is allowed to project more than 4 feet over public property)
  • A projecting sign over public property more than 15 inches requires a Certificate of Insurance.
  • The required Fee

Upon submission of the above items, the following requirements must be met:

  • Approvals from the following areas may be required: Heritage Preservation Commission, Special Sign District, Zoning and Bond

Home | Contact | Site Map | Accessibility | Disability Access | Policies & Practices | Copyright Notices | Powered by CivicPlus