Highland Park Water Tower
The water tower is a Highland neighborhood landmark located at the intersection of Snelling Avenue and Ford Parkway.
The tower, which was designed by Clarence Wigington, was completed in 1928. Wigington, a city of Saint Paul architect from 1915 to 1949, also designed many other important structures in the area, including the Keller Golf Course Clubhouse (1929), the Saint Paul Public Safety Building (1929–30), and Como Park Pavilion (1934).
The construction of the Highland Water Tower includes facings of Kasota and Bedford stone and a riveted steel-plate tank with a capacity of 200,000 gallons. The 127-foot tower is still used today to help supply water in the Highland area.
The tower is open to the public twice a year:
The weekend of Highland Fest, July 18 -19, 2015.
The second weekend in October, for the viewing of the fall colors. Oct. 10 -11, 2015.
The tower is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. both Saturday and Sunday.
Did you miss the open house this year?
Get a virtual tour
of some of the sights!
For more information, please contact Saint Paul Regional Water Services at 651-266-6350.
| The tower as it was being built in 1927 - 1928
||Detail of Clarence Wigington's drawing of the top of the tower.
|| Worker's atop the nearly completed tower in 1928.
| The Highland Park Water Tower as seen from Snelling Avenue in 1957 on a local postcard.
||A color rendering by the architect, Clarence Wigington.
|| The Highland Tower as it appears today.