The original cast iron water main within the project area was installed in 1948, 1951, and 1955. It has exceeded its useful life and has been prioritized for replacement. SGP Contracting, Inc., under contract with SPRWS, will replace the existing cast iron water main with ductile iron pipe via open cut excavation.
This work is being coordinated in advance of mill and overlay improvements planned to be completed by St. Paul Public Works later this summer on Cleveland Ave.
- Replace 1,300 ft. – 16” water main
- Replace 915 ft. – 6” water main
- Replace valves and hydrants
- Restore street pavement, curb, sidewalk as needed
Temporary Water Main Installation
In order to prepare for the main replacement work, SPRWS crews will begin to lay out temporary water mains on Wednesday, April 24, 2019. These pipes will be used to supply residents in the area with water throughout the project. As the project start date approaches, SPRWS crews will need to access properties to connect temporary water mains to the water service. Generally, the temporary water main is connected to the hose bib where possible.
Traffic Impacts and Project Start
SGP Contracting plans to begin the water main replacement work in mid-May. Around that time, residents should expect traffic and parking impacts to take effect. The contractor plans to begin installing water main at the southern end of Cleveland Avenue (near the intersection with Itasca) and will move north as the project progresses. We currently anticipate that water main replacement work on Cleveland Avenue will take approximately 1 month. Following the completion of work on Cleveland Avenue, the contractor will begin work on Villard Avenue and Villard Court. Work on these water mains is expected to take roughly 1 months as well.
- SGP will be placing advanced construction warning signage in the project area within the next few days
- Some light project preparation activities will take place during the next week
- SPRWS crews will begin tying in temporary water mains in the next 1-2 weeks
- Traffic and parking impacts should begin in earnest on May 15th
- Following preliminary construction activities, water main replacement work on Cleveland Ave. is expected to begin on May 20th
- SPRWS crews have worked with the contractor to tie in temporary water mains for the project.
- The contractor expects to begin removing existing pavement during the week of 5/20/2019. This will result in higher traffic around the construction site.
- Water main replacement work has begun and several hundred feet of 16" water main have been replaced
- METRO buses have been detoured around the work area
- Some contaminated soils have been encountered on the project site. The soils show traces of diesel fuel. Work may be temporarily halted at times to ensure proper testing and disposal of the contaminated soils.
- Notably, none of the contaminated soils have exceeded MPCA thresholds for roadway base materials. Initial tests on the soil indicate relatively low levels of contamination. SPRWS and the contractor will continue to take precautions to ensure that the soil is properly handled
- Water main replacement work on Cleveland Avenue is nearing completion. The main has passed pressure and bacteria tests, and property services are being connected to the new water main.
- Paving on Cleveland Avenue has been scheduled for July 1st
- Water main replacement work on Villard Ave. has begun. During work on Villard Ave, some residents of Villard Ave and Villard Ct may have difficulty accessing their property as the trench may isolate their driveway from public roadways. SGP Contracting will provide notice to residents at least 24 hours in advance if the resident's access is expected to be limited.
- Water main work on Villard Ave. and Villard Ct. is nearing completion. SPRWS and the contractor are currently performing pressure and bacteria testing to ensure that the main was installed correctly and that no bacteria was introduced to the water main during construction.
- Following passed pressure and bacteria tests, the contractor will begin tying services back in to the water main. Once your water service has been reconnected, SPRWS crews will generally need to access your home to turn the regular (non-temporary main) service back on. Crews will knock on doors to speak with residents and schedule this work.
- Some portions of the roadway on Villard Ave. and Villard Ct. were damaged by the operation of heavy equipment on the street. These sections of roadway will be stripped and replaced in their entirety.
- Paving work for Cleveland Ave, Villard Ave, and Villard Ct. is expected to take place on July 1st. During paving work, residents may have some difficulty accessing their driveway. More information will be shared prior to the start of paving.
- All water main work on Cleveland Ave. has been completed, and the roadway has been repaved. Traffic control signs will be removed today (7/3/2019), and the roadway should be opened to regular traffic by this afternoon.
- All water main work has been completed on Villard Ave. and Villard Ct. The contractor is currently preparing the streets for paving activities. Regular traffic access will be restored as soon as possible after paving.
- As we near the end of the project, SPRWS thanks residents of the area for their patience and cooperation during the water main replacement project.
- Normal traffic has been restored on Cleveland Ave. Saint Paul Public Works will be completing a paving project on Cleveland Ave. in the near future. This work is not related to the completed SPRWS project.
- Villard Ave. and Villard Ct. water main replacement work has been completed. Restoration work is in progress. Concrete curbing was placed today on both streets, and paving work has been tentatively scheduled for Friday, July 19th.
- Normal traffic and access should be restored on Villard Ave. and Villard Ct. sometime around July 20th (weather dependent)