Park & Facility Reservations
2024 Permit Lottery Information
Due to the high demand for certain dates and locations, the lottery system is used to give residents and businesses an equal opportunity to make reservations for in-demand picnic shelters and pavilion locations and dates. The lottery will not be held in person and will instead be conducted using an online randomized lottery system.
City of Saint Paul residents and businesses may enter the 2024 park permit lottery starting December 1, 2023, by filling out the Park Permit Lottery Form or by calling 651-266-6400. All entries must be submitted by 4:30 p.m. on December 20, 2023.
Only one lottery entry is allowed per person.
All entries received by December 20, 2023 at 4:30 p.m. will be randomly sorted and further instructions will be provided to entrants. Lottery entries may not be transferred to other customers.
Permits will be issued to lottery entrants beginning on January 2, 2024.
Verification of a Saint Paul address will be required prior to a permit being issued.
Customers applying for a private event will be required to provide a valid driver’s license or government-issued ID number for proof of Saint Paul residency.
For business reservations, documentation such as letterhead, stationery or a business card must be provided.
Organizations claiming tax-exempt status must complete a Minnesota ST3 form. This is an annual requirement. No exceptions.
Selecting a preferred date or location on the lottery application form does not guarantee the applicant will receive that date or location.
Beginning January 3, permit applications will be accepted from all Saint Paul residents and businesses via phone at 651-266-6400 from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Beginning February 1, non-residents may apply for permits and online picnic shelter permits will be available.
A separate Harriet Island Permit Lottery Form is required for those who wish to rent the Clarence W. Wigington Pavilion at Harriet Island for an event in 2025 or Kelley’s Landing, Raspberry Island and Upper Landing Park for an event 2024.
Recreation Center buildings are reservable year-round by contacting the recreation center directly.
The 2024 park permit lottery form will be open from December 1 through December 20, 2023 at 4:30 p.m:
2024 Permit Season General Information
- Picnic shelter permits may be reserved online. All other reservations must be made via phone at 651-266-6400 from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Reservations need to be made a minimum of 14 business days in advance.
- Permits are issued and allowed for summer holidays.
- Reserved parking spaces are not permitted in our parks; all parking is general and on a first-come, first-served basis.
- All insurance certificates must be submitted to Saint Paul Parks and Recreation no later than 15 business days prior to the event. Failure to do so will result in event being canceled. Insurance is required for all inflatables and no dunk tanks are allowed in parks. See Saint Paul Event Insurance Requirements for more information.
- Organizations claiming tax exempt status must submit a completed MN Certificate of Exemption (ST3) form prior to making a reservation. This tax exempt number must be issued by the State of MN and not by the IRS Department of Treasury.
- The Parks and Recreation Department retains the right to shutdown any rental for any violation of the Parks & Recreation Rules & Regulations, Park Permit Rules and Regulations, city ordinances, or laws that are violated, without refund of the rental fee.
- Permit Office rentals and reservations are subject to our Changes and Cancellations Policy.
- For any questions, contact the Permit Office at 651-266-6400 Monday through Friday, 7:30am-4:30pm, or email@example.com.
- Answers to many common questions can be found in our Park Permit Rules and Regulations.
Locations & Rates
The locations below are reservable through Parks and Recreation offices or partner organizations. Visit the links for contact information and reservation details.
- Shelters, Pavilions & Buildings
- Downtown Saint Paul & Small Parks
- Walk/Run Sites
- Popular Wedding Sites
- Athletic Fields & Sports Facilities
- Recreation Centers
- Harriet Island/Raspberry Island/Kelly's Landing/Upper Landing
- Como Lakeside Pavilion
- Como Zoo Picnic Pavilion
- Como Park Zoo & Conservatory
- City House
If you are interested in reserving a site not listed above, please contact the Permit Office at 651-266-6400 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Planning Large Events & Festivals
From iconic Como Regional Park to stunning Harriet Island, Saint Paul is packed with great outdoor spaces to host festivals, concerts, races and more! See the Large Event & Festival Planning page for more information.
Boulevard Tree Permits
- All maintenance work being performed on public boulevard trees requires a free permit issued by Saint Paul Forestry.
- For more information, call Forestry at 651-266-6400, or visit the boulevard tree permit webpage.
Requests for fossil hunting permits are not being accepted at this time. No fossil hunting is allowed as fossil grounds are currently closed.
Photo and Film Permits
Visit the Photo and Film Permit page for more information.