Right of Way Permits

For any permitting needs contact the Saint Paul Public Works Right of Way office at 651-266-6151 or PW-ROWpermits@ci.stpaul.mn.us.

The Right of Way office at 899 Dale Street North is open for walk-up service from 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. Monday-Friday, except during observed City holidays.

Completed permit applications may be submitted in person, by mail, or by e-mail. Permits will not be issued until all required information has been received including, original signatures, proof of insurance, and payment of permit fees. Payment of permit fees may be by debit or credit card, business check, or cash.

What is the public right of way?


Obstruction Permit

An obstruction permit is required whenever an object or equipment is placed within the city's right of way (streets, boulevards, sidewalks, alleys and other rights of way). Obstruction permits include:

  • Dumpster
  • Food Cart
  • Full Block Use
  • Hoisting
  • Meter Hooding
  • Parking Lane Use
  • Scaffolding
  • Sidewalk Use
  • Boulevard Use
  • Special Events
  • Traffic & Bike Lane Use
  • Utility Company Use of Right of Way
  • Valet Parking
Obstruction Permit Application & Information

Sidewalk Café Permit

A sidewalk café permit allows a food establishment, such as a restaurant or coffee shop, to provide outdoor seating for customers in the public right of way.

Sidewalk Café Permit Application & Information

Storage Container Permit

A permit is required for a storage container whenever it is placed in the city's right of way.

A permit is NOT needed if the storage container is placed completely on private property.

Storage Container Permit Application & Information

Excavation Permit

An excavation permit is required whenever excavation or underground work is planned within the city’s right of way (sidewalks, boulevards, and roadways). Prior to obtaining a permit the proposed work must be reviewed and approved through the Plan Review Committee. Excavation Permits include: 

  • Geoprobes
  • Utility Service Connection
  • Monitor Well
  • Utility Company Use of Right of Way
  • Tree Trench Restoration
Excavation Permit Application & Information

Transportation Permit

A transportation permit is required whenever oversized or overweight equipment travels on roadways or bridges within the City of Saint Paul. A transportation permit is only required for oversized equipment or overweight vehicles. Saint Paul does not have seasonal road weight restrictions.

Transportation Permit Application & Information

Other Right of Way Permits

Find resources for obtaining other Right of Way permits, including:

  • Filming permit
  • News rack permit
  • Sprinkler permit
Other Right of Way Permits Information

Road Closures in Saint Paul

List and map of current construction related road closings and restrictions.
Road Closures List & Map

Right of Way City Project Contacts and Information Map

Right of Way Project and Inspector Map

Last Edited: March 11, 2024