2023 Permit Season General Information
- Beginning January 4, permit applications will be accepted from all Saint Paul residents and businesses via phone at 651-266-6400 from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Beginning February 1:
- Non-residents may apply for permits.
- Online picnic shelter permits will be available.
- Shelter and pavilion rentals are available from May 1 - October 1. Como Streetcar Station and the Newell Park building rentals are available from Memorial Day to Labor Day. Recreation Center buildings are reservable year-round by contacting the recreation center directly.
- Reservations need to be made a minimum of 14 business days in advance.
- Permits are issued and allowed for summer holidays.
- Reserved parking spaces are not permitted in our parks; all parking is general and on a first come, first served basis.
- All insurance certificates must be submitted to Saint Paul Parks and Recreation no later than 15 business days prior to the event. Failure to do so will result in event being canceled. Insurance is required for all inflatables and no dunk tanks are allowed in parks. See Saint Paul Event Insurance Requirements for more information.
- Organizations claiming tax exempt status must submit a completed MN Certificate of Exemption (ST3) form prior to making a reservation. This tax exempt number must be issued by the State of MN and not by the IRS Department of Treasury.
- The Parks and Recreation Department retains the right to shutdown any rental for any violation of the Parks & Recreation Rules & Regulations, Park Permit Rules and Regulations, city ordinances, or laws that are violated, without refund of the rental fee.
- Permit Office rentals and reservations are subject to our Changes and Cancellations Policy.
- For any questions, contact the Permit Office at 651-266-6400 Monday through Friday, 7:30am-4:30pm, or email@example.com.
- Answers to many common questions can be found in our Park Permit Rules and Regulations.
NOTE: This page applies to groups of 999 people or less. For groups of 1,000 or more, please see Large Event and Community Festival Reservations.
When to Reserve a Shelter, Pavilion or Building
- Application dates for the Newell Park building and Como Streetcar Station ONLY: City of Saint Paul residents and businesses may apply for a permit the first business day of the month, 13 months in advance of their desired event date. Nonresidents and businesses may apply beginning the first business day of the month, 12 months in advance of their desired event date.
- Application dates for Como Lakeside Pavilion or Harriet Island Pavilion: See Como Lakeside Pavilion and Harriet Island websites for rental information.
- Application dates for all other shelter and pavilion locations: See top of page above for shelter and pavilion application dates for the current year.
- Application deadline: All applications must be made at least 14 days prior to the event.
How to Reserve a Picnic Shelter
- Picnic shelters can be reserved online or by contacting the Permit Office at 651-266-6400 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Phone reservation hours are 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Reservation calendars for picnic shelters can be viewed online.
How to Reserve a Pavilion or Building
- Reservation calendars for the Newell Park Building and pavilions at Como Regional Park, Highland Park, and Phalen Regional Park can be viewed online.
- Pavilion and buildings are not available for online reservation. Please call the Permit Office at 651-266-6400 or email email@example.com for permit assistance. Phone reservation hours are 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. (Note: This applies only to the locations listed below. Additional locations can be found on the main Permits & Rentals page.)
The day is divided into two sessions. If you would like to reserve the entire day, you are required to pay for two sessions. Please note, setup and cleanup times need to be included in your rental time.
- One Session: 8 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. or 2:30 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
- Two Sessions (All Day): 8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Shelter, Pavilion & Building Locations
Pavilions, picnic shelters, and other buildings are available to rent at these beautiful Saint Paul parks.
Cherokee Regional Park
Como Regional Park
Crosby Farm Regional Park
Eastside Heritage Park
Hidden Falls Regional Park
Indian Mounds Regional Park
Phalen Regional Park
Other Rental Locations
Many additional park facilities and amenities are available to rent through Saint Paul Parks and Recreation and partner organizations.
- Parking: There is no reserved parking in any Saint Paul park.
- Site Visits: There will be a $25 charge for persons requesting to view the facilities before the event. You must contact the permit office at least 7 days prior to your permit so arrangements can be made for a staff person to show you the facility.
- Application Limit: Only one permit application will be accepted per day from any group, individual, or organization.
- Changes & Cancellations: See our Changes and Cancellations Policy.