One of the oldest parks in Saint Paul, Newell Park was dedicated in 1908. The park is named after Stanford Newell, attorney, member of the first Saint Paul Park Board, and U.S. Minister to the Netherlands from 1897 to 1906.
Park development began in 1927. The pavilion, which still stands today, was built in 1929. The park was a center of community activity throughout the 1930s and many large celebrations were held there. During the '70s and '80s the pavilion became a part-time recreation center. It is still the site of recreational activities, although the prime use of the building is as a picnic pavilion.
Newell Park is located at 900 N. Fairview Avenue, 55104, four blocks west of Snelling Avenue on Pierce Butler Route. With its rolling hills and old oak trees, this 10-acre plot is a great place to have a summer picnic, or to sit under a tree and read a book.
The possession or consumption of alcohol is prohibited at this site.
Basketball Court, BBQ Grill, Benches, Fire Pit, Pavilion (available year-round), Picnic Area, Playground, Restroom Facilities, Shelter, and Softball Field
- View summer camps offered at Newell Park and other locations.
Newell Park Reservation Information
Please call the Park Permit Office at 651-632-5111 for more information or to make a reservation. Office hours are 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., Monday through Friday
Newell Park Double Shelter
- Seats approximately 60 people.
- Electricity is available at 110 volts. Multiple crock pots, coffee pots, roasters and other electric items may cause overloads on the power source.
- Reservation Rates
Newell Park Building
- Four-season building that is available to rent for parties or meetings of up to 100 people.
- Kitchen area has a stove, refrigerator, sink, serving window and is ideal for any meeting or celebration.
- Tables and chairs are provided in the 1800 square-foot meeting room.
- The building is heated and is available for rentals year round.
- Reservation Rates
- Building Floor Plan
- Reservation Calendars
For field reservations, contact:
Hancock Recreation Center