Find outdoor fun and adventure in Saint Paul!
About Explore Outdoors Saint Paul
Saint Paul is a great place to enjoy nature and outdoor recreation. Check out the Explore Outdoors Saint Paul page for outdoor opportunities. This effort is brought to you by Saint Paul Parks and Recreation, the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, and other participating organizations.
Rec Reimagined: Outdoor and Nature Activities
Our public buildings may be closed but the outdoors is open. Social distancing is important to keep folks safe during this COVID-19 outbreak. That said, spending time outdoors is also important to increase health, happiness and clarity, to decrease stress and anxiety, and more.
*Some of our amenities are currently closed or have additional restrictions in place. Before you visit, carefully read through our Parks & Recreation COVID-19 Information page for the most up-to-date guidelines and information.
Here are some resources we're excited to share with you:
Park Info and Preparedness/Know Before you Go
- Saint Paul Parks & Recreation COVID-19 Information
- General Park Information
- Parks and Recreation Amenities Map
- Maps of individual Parks and Facilities
- Things to bring when you go outside (PDF)
- Litter and Timeline of Trash (PDF)
- Staying active outside during COVID-19 (SPPS presentation)
Cold Weather: Dress for Success
Connect with the Mississippi River
Connecting the City's two greatest assets, the people and the river. The Great River Passage offers a menu of richly partnered programs and amenities that welcome all to deepen their relationship with each other and Saint Paul wilderness. Visit their page to learn more about unique opportunities to experience the river in new ways.
Videos and Virtual Tours
- Minnesota Department of Natural Resource Eagle Cam (livestream)
- National Park Service Wildlife Cams (multiple livestreams)
- Cornell Lab Bird Cams (multiple livestreams)
Wellness in the Outdoors
Community Science Projects
Activities for Kids
- Sensory Scavenger Hunt (PDF)
- Nature BINGO (PDF)
- Exploring Nature’s Colors (PDF)
- Build a Rainbow with Birds (PDF)
- Finding Nature: Staying connected to the natural world during COVID-19
Art and Technology
- Nine tips for taking brilliant nature photos with your smartphone
- SEEK - An app for plant and wildlife identification
- Merlin - An app to help identify birds