For changes and updates to our permit processes, visit stpaul.gov/parkpermits.
To reserve space at downtown and small park locations, contact the Permit Office Mon-Fri: 7:30am - 3:30pm at 651-266-6400 or ParksPermits@ci.stpaul.mn.us.
Downtown Saint Paul Park Rental Rates
The rates below apply to Capitol Centre (EcoLab) Plaza, Hamm Memorial Plaza, Irvine Park, Kellogg Mall Park, Landmark Plaza, Mears Park, Rice Park, Summit Overlook Park, and Wacouta Commons. Tax exempt rates organizations providing proper documentation of such status in italics.
|# of People||2 Hrs (Minimum)||Each Add’l Hr|
|0 – 250||$150.00($139.37)||$75.00 ($69.69)|
|251 – 500||$250.00 ($232.29)||$125.00($116.14)|
|501 – 999||$300.00 ($278.75)||$150.00($139.37)|
|1000 +||Refer to Large Event Planning|
Small Park Rentals
The rates below apply to Boyd, Carty, Cochran, Mattocks, Nathan Hale, Summit Monument, and Western Sculpture parks for small events such as wedding ceremonies. Other event rates will be determined based on size and impact to park. Minimum 4 hour rental. Tax exempt rates organizations providing proper documentation of such status in italics.
|1 Session (4 hrs)||Each Add’l Session|
|SMALL PARKS||$75.00 ($69.69)||$75.00 ($69.69)|
- Application dates for Irvine Park ONLY: City of Saint Paul residents and businesses may apply for a permit the first business day of the month, 13 months in advance of their desired event date. Nonresidents and businesses may apply beginning the first business day of the month, 12 months in advance of their desired event date.
- Application dates for all other downtown or small park locations: City of Saint Paul residents and businesses can apply in person or participate in the permit lottery on the first business day of each year. Beginning the second business day of each year, permit applications will be accepted from Saint Paul residents and businesses via phone at 651-266-6400 or in-person at 25 West 4th Street, Suite 400. Beginning the first business day in February, online shelter permits will be available and non-residents may apply for permits.
- Application deadline: All applications must be made at least seven days prior to the event.
- Portable restrooms: All events lasting 2 hours or more are required to provide restrooms to accommodate the estimated attendance. The number of restrooms will be determined by Parks staff. Restroom rental cost is the responsibility of the permit holder.
- Tents: Charge for one site is $55.00. Additional tents are $30.00 each. Note: Only weighted tents are allowed in the downtown parks. Staked tents may be erected in Landmark Plaza only if using permanent design features for tents. The Permit Office must be notified at least 7 days prior to an event.
- Closing Market Street: The Department of Parks and Recreation may require closing Market Street (between 5th and 6th) with Landmark Plaza rentals. Permit holder may request closure of Market Street (between 5th and 6th) with the approval of the Department of Parks and Recreation. The Department of Parks and Recreation’s fee for closure of Market Street is $100.00 and requires 14 days advance notice. Permit holder must also contact Public Works (651-266-6151) at least 14 days in advance of event to obtain a permit for closing the street and to pay for the lost meter and per meter charges.
- Alcohol: Please refer to Event Planning.
- Agreements: The Department may require a separate agreement for an event. The language in any agreement between the Department and a permit holder may supersede the rates listed here.
- Grills: There are no grills allowed in any downtown parks.
Cancellations, Changes and Refunds
Cancellation: No refunds will be issued less than 30 days prior to the permit. Permits under $150.00 will not receive a refund. Permits over $150.00 will receive 50% of the permit fee if the refund request is received 30 days prior to the event.
No refunds are given due to weather conditions.
Changes: Changes to a permit are accepted up to 7 business days in advance of an event. There will be a $25.00 charge each time a permit (time, date, and/or location change) is altered.