Sewer Project: Como Lake at Wheelock Parkway and Victoria Street
On March 19, a contractor working for Saint Paul’s Sewer Utility will begin a storm sewer replacement project. This project will impact pedestrian, bicycle and vehicle traffic near the southeast side of Como Lake. This sewer project is estimated to be completed by April 30. Every effort will be made to minimize impacts to the Como Lake Regional Trail.
- The Como Lake Regional Trail will be passable on weekends during construction.
- Whenever possible, the Como Lake Regional Trail will be opened at the end of each construction work day.
- During some work days, the Como Lake Regional Trail will need to be detoured around the Wheelock Parkway intersection. Detour signage will be posted along the trail and at the Wheelock Parkway intersection.
- ADA compliant pedestrian ramps and concrete barriers will be positioned where needed during construction.
- Bus routes and stops along Maryland Avenue will not be impacted.
Week of April 30
- Blacktopping to patch the streets and re-construct the bike path along Como Lake. This is a double bike path; one side remained open for pedestrian/bike traffic during re-construction.
- Ped/Bike sidewalks have been completely restored
- Landscaping completed
- The intersection was fully open at the end of the work day Friday
Week of April 23
- Pouring concrete for the sidewalks, curb/gutter and pedestrian ramp.
Week of April 16
- The Como Lake Trail is back open. It has been temporarily restored with concrete, but will be replaced with blacktop by the end of the project.
- The Victoria/Wheelock crosswalk is shifted north on Victoria.
- Work site to continue replacing the 24-inch storm sewer.
Week of April 9
- Removed old 24" storm sewer
- Installed about 70-feet of 42-inch storm sewer pipe
- Re-stabilized Como Lake embankment
- Placed temporary concrete pavement across disturbed regional trail
- Re-secured work site for weekend
Week of April 2
- Installed steel sheeting and concrete cap to support new 42-inch storm sewer outfall (see picture)
- Begin installing 42-inch concrete storm sewer pipe
Week of March 26
- Constructed temporary bypass for Regional Trail
- Installed tree protection
- Installed storm inlet protection
- Salvaged light standard (to be replaced)
- Salvaged park bench (to be replaced)