Victoria Park Master Plan
To develop a master plan and cost estimate for phased development of the future Victoria Park. Victoria Park is one block south of West 7th Street bordered by Montreal Way to the west, Otto Avenue to the east, Mississippi River to the south and Mississippi Market Co-Op and Sholom Community Alliance to the north. The 40.4 acre site is divided by the Chicago, Milwaukee, and St. Paul railroad.
The City of Saint Paul obtained the Victoria Park property with the condition that the property would be developed as a park after environmental cleanup was completed.
Environmental cleanup was accelerated by the City of Saint Paul receiving free fill from the Central Corridor project. Over 115,000 CY of fill was placed summer and fall of 2011 providing the required environmental cap to bring the land up to recreational use standards. The remaining portion of the site should be capped when construction resumes spring 2012.
The City is now in a position to develop a master plan for Victoria Park. The master plan will design a new park for the West 7th Street neighborhood and provided critical connections to the Mississippi River, Sam Morgan Regional Trail, and Crosby Regional Park.
September 22, 2017
Great River Greening will be holding a tree planing event on Saturday October 7th. Here is a link for more information and to signup to help volunteer.
A Victoria Park Stormwater Feasability Study is underway.
January 25, 2017
The City of St. Paul in cooperation with Great River Greening is undertaking the restoration of the upper and lower bluff in Victoria Park as well as disturbed floodplain areas within the unit of Crosby Farm Regional Park east of 35E and south of Shepard Road. Trees targeted for removal include buckthorn, diseased ash, and weedy trees such as black locust and Siberian elm. The removal will include selective cutting, hauling, and burning of woody material. The tree removal work may begin as soon as January 30th and will end for the season no later than March 10. Trail closures will occur in Victoria Park while workers are operating chainsaws and other tree removal equipment that could create a potential hazard to the public. Areas where tree removal occurs will be replanted with native trees and/or shrubs appropriate for the site.
October 11, 2016
Approximately half of the new trail has been paved. The remaining trail to be completed by the end of October. Contractor is currently working on construction of the overlook.
Photos of trail construction are available here.
October 5, 2016
The final concept for the Universally Accessible Play Area presented to the community at the open house October 5, 2016 at Palace Community Recreation.
Aug 10, 2016
Grading and trail construction on the south side of the park to being August 10, 2016. Trail work is estimated to be completed by October 2016. Trails shown in black are to be completed Fall 2016.
The second universally accessible play area meeting was held on Wednesday, August 3 from 6pm-8pm at Palace Recreation Center. See "Past Meetings" below for more information. The next meet is Wednesday, September 7, 6pm- 8pm at Palace Community Center.
June 21, 2016
A Design Advisory Meeting for the Universally Accessible Play Area will be on held July 6, 2016 from 6pm-8pm at 740 Victoria Street South
May 10, 2016
Universally Accessible Play Area: The City of Saint Paul is currently developing a Design Advisory Committee for a Universally Accessible Play Area on the south side of Victoria Park. Upcoming meeting dates will be published online.
October 21, 2015
Projects Currently Underway Include :
- Stewart Street Extension: Project scope includes construction of a new public street, sidewalk, lighting, landscaping, and parking lot. Stewart Street extension will provide access to the southern side of Victoria Park as well as access to the new housing development. Work associated with this project also includes storm water improvements for the south side of Victoria Park to direct storm water away from the edge of the bluff. Storm water is being captured to create a unique perched wet meadow area. Site grading includes diversion of water away from the edge of the bluff. Silt fencing has been installed and Great River Greening plans to seed the perched wet meadow area next week.
- Otto Avenue Improvements: Project scope includes construction of a paved, off road trail on the north side of Otto Avenue from Shepard Road to Otto Avenue. Construction to begin fall 2015.
- Removal of Remediation Shed: Remediation onsite is nearly completed. We are able to remove the fencing and remediation building on the north side of Victoria Park. Shed and fencing to be removed mid-November.
- Victoria Park Trail Extension: Project scope includes construction of a trail from intersection of Otto/Shepard Road to the new parking lot on the south side of Victoria Park. Trail will be a 12’ paved trail along the top of the bluff and include an overlook with views of the Mississippi River valley. In addition there will be a paved trail providing canoe/kayak access to the Mississippi River. This will replace the existing gravel path and construction will occur Spring 2016.
- Complete Grading and Trail Connection on South Side: Grading and trail construction on the south side of the park to being August 10, 2016. Trail work is estimated to be completed by October 2016. Trails shown in black are to be completed Fall 2016.
- Park Renaming: Fort Road Federation have been working to develop a new name for “Victoria Park”. I hope to receive the final list of ideas soon. These names will be shared with the advisory group.
- Universally Accessible Play Area Design: $200,000 was included in the 2016 Mayors budget for design of the universally accessible play area for the south side of the park. Private funding will be sought for construction. A design advisory committee will be created for input on the play area design once funding becomes available.
- Stormwater Feasibility Study: The City of Saint Paul and Capitol Region Watershed District (CRWD) are partnering to develop a unique stormwater feature that is functional, attractive, educational, and a source of community pride within Victoria Park!
Public Open House for the Universally Accessible Play Area: Wednesday, October 5, 6pm-8pm at Palace Community Center.
Design Advisory Meeting for the Universally Accessible Play Area Meeting #3: Wednesday, September 7, 6pm-8pm at Palace Community Center
Design Advisory Meeting for the Universally Accessible Play Area Meeting #2: The second universally accessible play area meeting was held on Wednesday, August 3 from 6pm-8pm at Palace Recreation Center.
Design Advisory Meeting for the Universally Accessible Play Area: July 6, 2016 from 6pm-8pm
Design Advisory Meeting #10: November 18, 2014
A Design Advisory Committee (DAC) meeting was held on Tuesday, November 18, 2014 at Nova Classical Academy from 6:00 to 7:00 pm. The meeting updated the DAC on work underway at Victoria Park since the last meeting a year ago (12/3/13). Parks presented ideas for 2016/2017 CIB request for implementation of the master plan. Presentation materials and meeting notes are below.
Parks Commission Meeting: February 12, 2014
Victoria Park master plan will be going before Saint Paul Parks Commission on Wednesday, February 12, 2014. The meeting begins at 6:30 pm and will be held at Oxford Community Center (270 Lexington Parkway N.)
Final Design Advisory Meeting #9: December 3, 2013
At the December 3, 2013 meeting of the Victoria Park Design Advisory Committee, the committee reached consensus on an overall Master Plan for Victoria Park. The plan will go before Saint Paul Parks Commission in February 2014 for final adoption.
The Department of Parks and Recreation would like to thank the Design Advisory Committee for their input and involvement in development of the Master Plan over the past 15 months. We look forward to re-engaging the community as funding sources become available.
- Meeting Agenda
- Final Presentation (Large file size. Might take time to download)
- Final Master Plan 11/19/13
- Meeting Notes
Design Advisory Meeting #8: October 29, 2013
Meeting #8 was held on Tuesday, October 29th at Nova Classical Academy from 6:00 to 8:00 pm. Meeting materials are provided below:
- Meeting Notes
- Meeting Agenda
- Overall Master Plan
- North Picnic Area - Enlarged View
- South Picnic Area - Enlarged View
- Overall Presentation
- Cross Section - Victoria Street
- Bird Habitat Area
- Winter Pond Skating
- Wetland Boardwalk Cross Section
- Entry Plaza and Water Feature
- South Picnic Area and Open Lawn
The next meeting will be held on December 3rd, 2013 from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m.
Design Advisory Meeting #7: September 17, 2013
Meeting #7 was held on Tuesday, September 17th at Nova Classical Academy from 6:30 to 8:30 pm. Meeting materials are provided below:
The next meeting will be held on Tuesday, October 29, 2013 from 6:00 to 8:00 pm.
Design Advisory Meeting #6: August 13, 2013
Meeting #6 was held on Tuesday, August 13th at Nova Classical Academy from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. Meeting materials are provided below:
The next meeting will be held Tuesday, September 17th from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m.
The Victoria Park Open House was held on Tuesday, May 14th from 6:00 to 8:00pm. at Nova Classical Academy on the 3rd Floor.
Design Advisory Meeting #5: March 19, 2013
Meeting #5 was held Tuesday, March 19th from 6:00 to 8:00pm. at Nova Classical Academy on the 3rd Floor. Meeting materials are provided below:
- Meeting #5 Notes
- Stormwater and Wetland Presentation by EOR
- Meeting #5 Presentation by Parks
- Meeting Agenda 3/19/13
- Comments Received on Charette Plans
- Common Ideas from Charette Plans
- 2012 Community Garden Policy
- Toronto Outdoor Bake Oven Policy
- SITES Memorandum
Victoria Park Open House will be held May 14th, 2013 at Nova Classical Academy from 6:00 to 8:00 pm.
Design Advisory Meeting #4: January 22, 2013
Meeting #4 was held January 22, 2013 at Nova Classical Academy from 6:00 to 8:00 pm. Meeting materials are provided below:
- Meeting Notes
- Follow up to Victoria Park Design Charette
- Charette Plan 1
- Charette Plan 2
- Charette Plan 3
- Charette Plan 4
- Charette Plan 5
Meeting #5 will be held March 19, 2013 on the 3rd Floor of Nova Classical Academy from 6:00 to 8:00 pm.
Design Advisory Meeting #3: December 4, 2012
Meeting #3 was held December 4, 2012 at Mississippi Market Community Room from 6:00 to 8:00 pm. Meeting materials are provided below:
- Meeting Agenda
- Meeting Minutes
- Revised Goals and Objectives
- Victoria Park History Presentation
- Presentation Materials (large file size: May take time to download)
Next meeting will be held Tuesday, January 22, 2013 from 6:00 to 8:00 pm at Nova Classical Academy. Optional winter walking tour scheduled for Saturday, December 29th at 10:00 am.
Design Advisory Meeting #2: October 23, 2012
The second Victoria Park Design Advisory Committee meeting was held Tuesday, October 23, 2012 from 6:00 to 8:00 at Nova Classical Academy. Meeting materials are provided below:
- Meeting Agenda
- Meeting Minutes
- Attachment to Meeting Minutes
- Revised Goals and Objectives 11/14/12
- PowerPoint Presentation
Next meeting: Tuesday December 4, 2012 from 6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. Location to be determined.
Design Advisory Meeting #1: September 17, 2012
The first Victoria Park Design Advisory Committee meeting was held Monday, September 17, 2012 at Sholom Home located at 740 Kay Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55102. Meeting materials are provided below:
Next meeting: Tuesday October 23, 2012 from 6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. in the Great Room at Nova Classical Academy.
Victoria Park Design Advisory Committee:
- Dave Bredemus - Fort Road Federation
- Elizabeth McMann - Mississippi Market
- Kent Petterson - West 7th Business Organization
- Brian Bloomfield - Nova Classical Academy
- John Yust - City Council appointee
- Halle O'Falvey - Local resident
- Paula Faughender - Local resident
- Jennifer Verbrugge - Local resident
- Stephanie Vagle - Local resident
- Scott Olson - Local resident
- Pete Regnier - Friends of Parks and Trails
- Bill Driver - Youth recreation
- Gary Brueggemann - Youth recreation
- Manuel Cervantes - Adult recreation
- Emily Shively - Saint Paul Parks and Recreation Commission
- Tonya Johnson Nicholie - Fort Road Federation
- Marcus Young - Public artist
- Rory Stierler - National Park Service
- Karin Misiewicz - Parks and Recreation Maintenance/Operations
- Adam Robbins - Parks and Recreation Natural Resources
- Martin Schieckel - City of Saint Paul HRA
- John Bentfield - Sholom Home
Current Site Conditions
The City of Saint Paul has been working with the Fort Road Federation, Saint Paul Planning and Economic Development, Capitol Regions Watershed District, Nova Classical Academy, and an environmental cleanup contractor to ensure that environmental remediation efforts complement future Victoria Park development. The illustration below reflects the anticipated site condition of Victoria Park when Nova Classical Academy is constructed and environmental cleanup work will be completed by fall 2012.