On February 7, 2018, the City Council passed a resolution initiating a zoning study to consider amending the locational standard for accessory dwelling units (ADUs) to include five additional areas of the city—Mounds Park area of Dayton’s Bluff and Planning Districts 1 (Eastview-Conway-Battlecreek-Highwood), 3 (West Side), 7 (Thomas Dale), and 9 (West Seventh). Currently ADUs are only allowed in the area one-half mile from University Avenue between Emerald Street and Lexington Parkway. The Planning Commission directed staff to seek citywide input on potential expansion of ADUs.
Base on public hearing testimony, the Planning Commission has made the following recommendation to the City Council:
- allow ADUs citywide;
- eliminate the minimum lot area requirement for ADUs within a principal structure; and
- permit ADUs within the RL- one-family large lot zoning district.
City staff has worked to gauge community interest in ADUs.
- City staff met with District Councils 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, and 15 since the City Council initiated the study. Additional meetings are scheduled with Districts 8 and 16. If your organization is interested in hosting a discussion on ADUs, please contact Jamie Radel.
- A question has been posted on Open Saint Paul to gather community input on the potential expansion of ADUs in Saint Paul. This is not official public testimony, but a way for staff and the Planning Commission to understand how City residents feel about the potential to expand ADUs in Saint Paul.
- City staff held two community listening sessions on ADUs in April.
City Council Public Hearing
The City Council will hold a public hearing on recommended Zoning Code amendments pertaining to the establishment of accessory dwelling unit as a permitted accessory use citywide, eliminating the minimum lot area for ADUs within a principal structure, and permitting ADUs in the RL - one-family large lot residential district.
The hearing will be held before the City Council on:
Wednesday, August 15, 2018; Public hearings begin at 5:30 p.m.
Council Chambers, Room 300
15 West Kellogg Boulevard, Saint Paul
All comments concerning the proposed zoning text amendments will be heard at this hearing. Comments submitted in writing should be addressed to:
Office of the City Council
310 City Hall
15 Kellogg Blvd. West
Saint Paul, MN 55102
Copies of the proposed amendments are available by calling Jamie Radel at 651-266-6579, or by e-mail to email@example.com.