The Housing and Redevelopment Authority (HRA) of the City of Saint Paul, Minnesota is soliciting private development proposals for a premier riverfront site in downtown Saint Paul. The site is located on a bluff overlooking the Mississippi River, adjacent to the Saint Paul RiverCentre Convention Center.
The Development Opportunity is specifically situated above the RiverCentre Parking Ramp (the air rights) and on available adjacent land. The HRA seeks innovative development proposals that maximize the potential of this key downtown Saint Paul site and that complement and/or support nearby facilities.
The submission deadline has now passed. The City has received six proposals from the following:
- Capital City Properties
- Flaherty & Collins Properties
- Mille Lacs Corporate Ventures
- Reuter Walton Development
- Sherman and Associates
- Swerdling and Associates
Pursuant to Minnesota Statute § 13.591, only the names of the proposers are public data at this time. All other data in a response to an RFP is not public until completion of the evaluation process.
Opportunity Site At A Glance
- Located at 150 West Kellogg Boulevard; Saint Paul, MN 55102
- 3.4+ acre site
- In the heart of downtown Saint Paul and adjacent to the City’s convention center, arena, and entertainment district
- Excellent access:
- located at the intersection of two interstate highways (I-94 and I-35),
- light rail and bus transit,
- passenger rail depot within blocks,
- within 7 minutes of Holman Field, a regional airport convenient for corporate jet service, and
- under 20 minutes drive from the MSP International Airport
- Spectacular views of the Mississippi River and river valley
- Above and/or adjacent to the RiverCentre parking ramp
- Flexible downtown zoning (B5)
- Located in a Federal Opportunity Zone
This Solicitation for Development involves a three-phase process aimed to identify and select a developer. A sale of development rights will be subject to the Policy and Procedures for Disposition of HRA Owned Real Estate.
After reviewing proposals, there will be a meeting with each of the Proposers, HRA staff, and RiverCentre Convention and Visitors Authority staff to share information about goals and objectives, and provide Proposers with an opportunity to discuss their potential vision for the Development Opportunity.
HRA and RCVA staff will discuss preliminary concepts with project stakeholders and identify responder(s) for additional discussions.
Upon review of preliminary concepts, additional discussions with selected Proposers and after consulting with project stakeholders, HRA staff may present a recommendation to elected officials to award Tentative Developer Status to a specific proposer.
Solicitation and Exhibits
- Saint Paul Insider’s Guide (2019-2020)
- RiverCentre Ramp Program Statement
- Kellogg Bridge Project Map
- City of Saint Paul 2030 Comprehensive Plan (adopted 2010)
- City of Saint Paul 2040 Comprehensive Plan (anticipated for adoption winter 2020)
- District 9 Plan (2013)
- Downtown Development Strategy (2005)
- Saint Paul Bicycle Plan (2015, amended 2017)
- Saint Paul River Balcony Master Plan (2017)
- Policy and Procedures for Disposition of HRA Owned Real Estate
- HRA Compliance Matrix
- Original Plans - RiverCentre Ramp (Added to solicitation October 30, 2019)
- Proposed Headquarters Hotel at the Saint Paul RiverCentre (Added to solicitation November 26, 2019)
- Please note: Inclusion is in response to requests and should be used for informational purposes only. Inclusion is neither intended to influence and/or narrow the scope of proposed uses/development nor a change in the HRA’s stance on subsidy for the opportunity.