Summit Avenue Bridge
Summit Avenue Bridge spans over Ayd Mill Road and the Canadian Pacific Railroad. The bridge and approach roadways will be reconstructed in 2019 and 2020.
The tentative start date for the bridge closure is November 1. Detours and traffic controls, along with advance warning signage posted along Summit and Ayd Mill near the bridge will happen in advance of the bridge closure.
The new bridge is schedule to reopen by October 1, 2020.
The first bridge at this location was built in 1897 to span over the Short Line Railroad. Most of the existing bridge structure was constructed with the development of Ayd Mill Road in 1962.
Proposed Design and Anticipated Construction Schedule
- TC Marathon (October 6, 2019)
- Install detours, protections - lane closures on Ayd Mill Road
- Demo existing bridge
- Construct new abutments, pier, and walls
- Set beams, form and pour deck
- Backfill abutments and stabilize slopes
- Complete bridge items: sidewalk, railing, lighting
- Reconstruct roads, utilities, storm water system
- Re-open Summit Avenue by end of September
Past Community Meetings
The first community meeting for the Summit Avenue Bridge Project was held on Thursday, April 13, 2017 at the Saint Paul Police Department, Western District.
The second community meeting was held on Monday, August 28, 2017 at the bridge location. This open house format event was paired with the "Pop Up Meeting" process, a cooperative program between the City and Public Art Saint Paul that seeks to engage community involvement in urban planning.
A community open house was held on Wednesday, February 27, 2019 at the Saint Paul Police Department, Western District.
** Construction Update September 24, 2019 ** - The attached notice has been mailed to area residents and business owners.
Ayd Mill Road
- For work zone safety, equipment and contractor access, Ayd Mill Road will be restricted to one northbound lane and one southbound lane during bridge work. Ayd Mill Road will be closed and detoured for short durations during critical work activities, such as bridge demolition and setting beams. Traffic delays can be expected.
- The recently proposed project to add bike and pedestrian infrastructure on Ayd Mill Road does not change the design and construction of the new Summit Avenue Bridge.
- As a part of the Ayd Mill Road project, Public Works is reviewing access and accessibility at all existing intersections along Ayd Mill Road.