Mississippi River Boulevard Improvements
On June 17, 2020, Mississippi River Boulevard closed from Marshall Avenue to Randolph Avenue to complete a variety of scheduled construction and repair projects. Saint Paul Public Works completed the scheduled repairs and reopened the roadway on July 21. The roadway will temporarily be closed in September for the scheduled mill and overlay.
About the Mill and Overlay:
Mill and overlay work is done on Saint Paul’s arterial (or main) streets. Crews will “mill,” or remove approximately the top two inches of the roadway and then “overlay,” or repave the street with new asphalt. The repaving portion is weather dependent, but the entire process typically takes two to four days. Road striping will be completed in the days following the repaving of the street.
What you need to do:
- Please move your car off the street. We will post “No Parking” signs the day before the project begins.
- Cars that are not moved will be ticketed and towed.
- The street will have temporary closures or lane restrictions during milling and repaving operations. We will try to maintain access to driveways, but there may be temporary access restrictions.
- Please notify any tenants/renters or visitors about the project and no parking restrictions.
Project costs: All abutting property owners will be charged a fee of 50% of the mill and overlay project cost. The city pays the remaining 50% of the project cost. Property owners will receive a bill for the resurfacing project after the work has been completed.
The rate for the repaving project is $22.83/per front linear foot.
Estimated project timeline (weather dependent): September 16-18 for milling; September 21-24 for paving
All construction and repair projects will be done in the street or public right of way:
- Pedestrian improvements – sidewalk repairs and ADA-ramp construction COMPLETED 7/2020
- Sewer repairs – catch basins and utility covers, some excavation work will occur COMPLETED 7/2020
- Water main replacement done by Saint Paul Regional Water Service (Jefferson Avenue to Highland Parkway)
- Mill and Overlay – repave street surface (to be done mid-September)
- Driveway access will be maintained for residents in the construction area as "local traffic only"
- There will be a partial lane closure (northbound) from Hartford to Woodlawn on July 20-August 21 for water main work
- There will be a partial lane closure (northbound) from Woodlawn to Highland Parkway on August 17-September 18 for water main work