Start or Stop Garbage Service: Change in Property Ownership

Contact your garbage hauler after the sale has taken place to notify them of the ownership change and review account balances. You can find your designated hauler by using the interactive map or by calling 651-266-6101. 

If your purchase has not been updated in Ramsey County property records yet, you will need to provide proof of sale (i.e. a copy of the deed) to confirm that you are the new property owner. Renters should contact their landlord or the property owner for service changes. 

Garbage Carts

  • City owned and branded garbage carts remain with the property and should be on-site. If you need a garbage cart, please call your hauler to request delivery of a cart. 
  • Residents can change cart size once per calendar year at no additional charge; subsequent cart changes cost $25 per change. 
  • Carts should be placed at the designated collection location by 6 a.m. on collection day. 

Basic Garbage Service Levels and Prices

All Saint Paul residential properties with 1-4 units, including rentals and townhomes, must each have service and a garbage cart per unit. Depending on your cart size, you can have either 2 or 3 bulky items collected each calendar year at no additional cost.

Cart Size Gallons Collection Bulky Items

(per year)

Monthly Rates*

(for 3 months of service)

Small 35 (approx. 2-3 kitchen-size bags) Every other week 2 $59.23/quarter
Small 35 (approx. 2-3 kitchen-size bags) Every week 2 $69.04/quarter
Medium 64 (approx. 4-5 kitchen-size bags) Every week 3 $94.87/quarter
Large 96 (approx. 5-7 kitchen-size bags) Every week 3 $101.23/quarter

*pricing includes county and state taxes

An annual fee of $26.14 will be added to your Ramsey County property tax statement to help cover costs for carts, program administration, outreach and education efforts.

Last Edited: December 6, 2022