Abandoned Buildings - Unfinished Construction


Buildings with an unfinished exterior shell may qualify as vacant buildings, nuisance, or dangerous structures if no work has been done on them for at least 180 days. If no work has been undertaken in that time span, the building permit expires. An owner may apply for one extension of a building permit under state law. To find out whether a building permit has expired, contact DSI. If you are unsure about the rate of progress in completing a building or home improvement project affecting the exterior of a building, contact your District Council, or call DSI at 651-266-9090.(see Vacant Building)

Return to Resident Handbook