Obscenity consists of any book, magazine, newspaper, film, video, or performance that elicits an unwholesome interest in sex, which has no serious value, and which portrays sexual activity in an offensive way.

It is a misdemeanor for any person to manufacture, sell, or distribute any material that he or she knows to be obscene. It is also a misdemeanor to sell, issue, distribute obscene material to minors, or display it publicly where minors may see it.

Filing a Complaint

If you have a complaint about obscene material, call the Police Department at 651-291-1111. If there is an ongoing problem at a specific location, notify the Police so that a record can be established, and also notify DSI at 651-266-9090 if you think the establishment may need a license to operate in the City. (see Adult Entertainment, Adult Uses)

Return to Resident Handbook

Last Edited: March 2, 2017