Becoming a Licensed TISH Evaluator in Saint Paul
TISH evaluations are only applicable to single-family homes, duplexes, condominiums, and townhouses offered for sale in the City of Saint Paul. The test application period has expired. No further applications will be accepted.
1. Complete the application form and submit it with your application fee.
- Exam prerequisite: you must provide proof of passing a third-party, national home inspector’s exam such as the NHIE.
- Only exams where the individual taking the test has his/her identity verified by the exam administrator will be accepted; non-proctored exams, such as interNACHI, are not currently approved by the Board.
- Saint Paul does not accept licenses from other jurisdictions in lieu of passing the third-party exam.
- The application will be drafted once a date has been selected for the exam. The application, along with the fee, will be due by the deadline provided in the notice of the exam.
2. Take and pass a written exam.
- You must be available on the date and time scheduled for the written exam in order to be eligible for licensing in Saint Paul.
- The exam location will be sent after the application is accepted.
- This is a closed-book exam; however, calculators are permitted.
- The written exam is approximately 100 to 150 questions in true/false, multiple choice, and short-answer format.
- Three hours will be allocated for completing the written test; most applicants finish within one to two hours.
- You must receive a score of 75% or better to pass the test in order to take the practical exam.
3. Complete and pass a practical exam (test house).
- The final step is to evaluate a “test house” as if you are evaluating a property for a client in the City of Saint Paul.
- You must pass both the written and test house portions of the examination to be eligible to receive your Truth-in-Sale of Housing Evaluator license.
- Information regarding the test house will be provided to those who pass the written exam.