About the People's Prosperity Guaranteed Income Pilot
The City of Saint Paul is launching the People’s Prosperity Guaranteed Income Pilot, which will provide up to 150 Saint Paul families with $500 per month in guaranteed income for a period of up to 18 months. The People’s Prosperity Pilot is being offered to families participating in CollegeBound Saint Paul, the City’s college savings imitative which is providing every child born to a Saint Paul resident on or after January 1, 2020 with a college savings account and a $50 seed deposit. In addition to the $500 families will receive each month through the Pilot, their child will receive a $10 bonus deposit in their CollegeBound Saint Paul account.
The goal of our guaranteed income pilot is simple: get cash to families in our community with no strings attached so they can buy the things they need like food, housing, and other essentials. For far too long, too many programs that provide support have focused on telling families on how much, where and what to spend resources on. Because families know best what they need, our program gives them the flexibility to determine how to spend these resources.
Who is Eligible for the People’s Prosperity Pilot?
People’s Prosperity Pilot participants will be selected at random from families with CollegeBound Saint Paul savings accounts and will meet with staff from the City’s Office of Financial Empowerment to enroll in the program. The Office of Financial Empowerment will reach out to families through mail, email, or phone to inform them that they have been selected. Since only the families that are randomly selected are eligible, there is not an open application to apply to the People’s Prosperity Pilot.
Those randomly selected to participate are eligible if they meet the following criteria:
- They are Saint Paul resident with a child with a CollegeBound Saint Paul account.
- They are not employees of or elected officials in the City of Saint Paul.
- They must have been impacted financially by the COVID-19 pandemic, such as:
- being furloughed, laid off, or having work hours reduced due to COVID-19; or
- being unable to work due to a COVID-19 diagnosis for you, your spouse or partner, or your dependent; or
- being unable to work due to a lack of childcare due to COVID-19; or
- closing or reducing hours of a business that you own or operate due to COVID-19;
- They must meet the income eligibility guidelines.
For the People’s Prosperity Pilot’s purposes, no one will ask you for your social security number over the phone. If you feel like you have been contacted by a scam that is using the name or concept of this pilot program, please reach out to us at Prosperity@ci.stpaul.mn.us or 651-266-8680.