2018 City of St. Paul and State of MN Career Fair
The State of Minnesota and City of St. Paul career fair will bring together representatives from every state agency and City of St. Paul department to connect Minnesotans with opportunities in government.
Attendees will learn about current job openings, network with leaders, and attend application workshops.
When and Where
- Saturday, Nov. 3, 2018, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Saint Paul RiverCentre, Roy Wilkins Auditorium 175 West Kellogg Blvd. Saint Paul, MN 55102
- Career Fair event flyer
Need an accommodation?
- Individuals with disabilities in need of reasonable accommodations should call 651-201-8207 by Oct. 26.
- ASL interpreters will be available on site.
- Mother room is available on site.
Free Rides to the Career Fair
Free rides to the career fair through Metro Transit. Click here for more info.
Job Fair Prep
A little preparation can help you make the best of the career fair. Use these tips to make your visit a success.
Take Your Time
The job fair is an rare opportunity to meet people face-to-face without an appointment. Take full advantage. Plan to stick around. Talk to as many organization representatives as possible. Collect information on every organization that interests you.
Make a Good First Impression
- Dress as you would for an interview
- Display a positive, can-do attitude
- Smile, make eye contact, and give a firm handshake
- Be courteous, polite, and likeable
- Show that your are willing and motivated to learn and grow
Know Yourself and Your Skills
- Develop a 20-second pitch that includes your work background, related skills and training, and areas of interest
- End your introduction with a question for the recruiter, to help start a conversation
- Practice delivering your introduction slowly and clearly, with enthusiasm and a smile
- Offer a copy of your resume or business card
- Research your targeted organizations before you attend the fair
- Know the schedules that you're able to work
- About prospective jobs
- About the application processes
- Get the names of key contact personnel within targeted organizations
- Take notes
- Offer to complete an application during the fair OR ask when you could return a completed application in person
- Ask when an interview might be possible
- Establish a follow-up time to contact organizations of interest
Follow Up with Organizations
- Send a cover letter and another copy of your resume
- Tailor the documents to reflect your conversation with the recruiter
- Double-check spelling, especially of names
- Being organized, prepared, personable, and confident help you be memorable for all the right reasons