Affirmative Action & Equal Employment Opportunity (AA/EEO)
City of Saint Paul Legislative Code Section 183.04 and the Rules Governing Affirmative Requirements require the city to monitor affirmative action and equal employment opportunity efforts. AA/EEO regulations apply to all vendors, regardless of the nature and size of its business, whose total accumulated City of Saint Paul contract awards exceeds $50,000 within the preceding twelve month period. The requirement applies whether one contract equals $50,000, or several contracts within a one-year period total $50,000.
When the $50,000 threshold is met, a vendor must:
- Submit an Affirmative Action Program Registration to the City of Saint Paul. Registration is a short-form certification instead of a full Affirmative Action Plan.
- Develop an Affirmative Action Plan (AAP) to be maintained at the vendor's office and available upon request.
- Maintain written records of all personnel activities and documentation of Good Faith Efforts to recruit and hire women, minorities, and people with disabilities.
- Submit the $75 Affirmative Action Plan Registration fee to the Department of Human Rights & Equal Economic Opportunity (HREEO). Note: Check only and issued to the City of Saint Paul.
Affirmative Action Program Registration
Vendors whose total accumulated City of Saint Paul contract/subcontract awards over the preceding twelve months, has met or exceeded $50,000.00, must complete and submit an Affirmative Action Program Registration (AAPR) for analysis.The AAPR captures the vendor's workforce by job category, with race, gender, and disability status, and assists in setting goals and timetables for vendors when there are hiring opportunities and/or if there are underutilization implications.
- Download the Affirmative Action Program Registration Form and return to HREEO with the $75 registration fee. Note: Check only and issued to the City of Saint Paul.
- If approved, the Compliance Officer will issue a letter that certifies the vendor is registered. Registration is for a two-year period and can be renewed every two years.
- Submit 6-month Semi-Annual Reports to maintain compliance with AA/EEO requirements.
- The AA/EEO approval letter contains the registration expiration date and the due dates of the Semi-Annual Reports.
- Maintain AA/EEO approval letter and follow reporting requirements.
Affirmative Action Plan
As part of the Affirmative Action Program Registration, a contractor must certify it has developed and implemented an effective Affirmative Action Plan (AAP) that includes hiring goals for the employment of women, minorities, and people with disabilities. Contractors must keep their AAP onsite and available for inspection. Do not submit an entire Affirmative Action Plan, instead submit the AAPR form. Vendors can also read instructions on how to develop an Affirmative Action Plan.
Semi-Annual Reports monitor a vendor's equal employment and affirmative action efforts. The reports contain information about a vendor's hiring, training, terminations or voluntary resignations, and promotion activity. Vendors must maintain records of all personnel activities and documentation of Good Faith Efforts to recruit and hire women, minorities, and people with disabilities.
AA/EEO Construction Workforce Utilization Requirements
Construction contracts receiving city funding must comply with workforce utilization employment goals set by the Minnesota Department of Human Rights. Developers and/or general contractors must communicate to all subcontractors that workforce goals are expressed as a percentage of the total hours performed by female and minority construction workers used on the project.
- 32% Minority Total Project hours
- 6% Female Total Project hours
The Minnesota Department of Human Rights and the City of Minneapolis Civil Rights Department also monitor affirmative action and equal employment opportunity efforts. If a vendor is registered with the City of Minneapolis or the State of Minnesota, a contractor must submit the following to the City of Saint Paul:
- The first four pages of the City of Saint Paul Affirmative Action Program Registration;
- A copy of the State of Minnesota Certificate of Compliance or a City of Minneapolis Registration letter;
- Copies of the worksheets submitted to either the State of Minnesota or the City of Minneapolis that capture the vendor's workforce (i.e., Employment Data form, Utilization Analysis, Goals and Timetables, and Utilization Goals for People with Disabilities); and
- Submit the $75 Affirmative Action Plan Registration fee to the Department of Human Rights & Equal Economic Opportunity. Note: Check only and issued to the City of Saint Paul.
Companies with an Affirmative Action Plan
Here is a list of businesses with current Affirmative Action Plans registered with the City of Saint Paul.