Online Police Reporting Frequently Asked Questions

What do I do if online incident reporting is not right for me? If your incident is an emergency, call 911. If non-emergency call 651-291-1111.
If this happened in another city, can I file a report using this online police citizen reporting system? No, If a crime took place outside of the City of St. Paul please call the police department for that city.
What if this happened on an interstate Freeway? If this took place on a state Freeway please call the Minnesota State Patrol.
What is a crime "motivated by bias"? When the victim believe the offender was motivated to commit the act based upon the victim’s race, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, or characteristics identified as sexual orientation.
Who should I contact if I have questions about using this system or about the status of my case? You may call the St. Paul Police Records Unit at 651-266-5700.  They will be able to answer most questions or put you in touch with the right people.
What kind of information do I need to put in the report?
Please enter as much detail as you can.  If you have the serial number of any property that was lost or stolen, please enter it in the “Narrative” section.  The serial number is very important for us to be able identify any property we may recover.
If you have any information about the suspect (what they look like, a possible license plate number or car description, a possible name or address, etc.) please add that in the “Narrative” section.
Likewise, if you have any contact information for someone who witnessed the incident, add it to the “Narrative” section.
Can I report a stolen gun in an on-line report? No. We need to have a police officer come to the scene to investigate.  Please call 911 if it just happened, or the non-emergency number, 651-291-1111 if it happened a while ago.
Will my case be investigated? Each case is reviewed by an investigator.  Those cases that that have enough leads for an investigator to follow up on will be pursued.  Every approved case is documented and kept on file.  They will be used to help us track crime and patterns in your neighborhood.
Why am I having trouble using the online reporting system?
Be sure that you have disabled any pop-up blockers and have cookies enabled.  Also, the browser that causes the fewest problems right now is Google Chrome.   
If you still have problems, you may file the report another way by calling the non-emergency line at 651-291-1111.
There is suspicious activity happening in my neighborhood right now.  Can I report that on-line? No, please call 911 or the non-emergency line at 651-291-1111 so that a police officer can come to investigate while it is happening.
I found bullet holes in my house.  Can I report that on-line? No, please call the non-emergency line at 651-291-1111, or if it just happened, call 911.  An officer needs to come out to investigate.
Can I report an incident that happened at the St. Paul/Minneapolis Airport using this on-line system? No.  The airport is not within the boundaries of the city of St. Paul.  Please call the Airport Police.
My ex-spouse is violating a valid Protection Order by texting me.  Can I report that on-line? No, an officer needs to document the evidence of the texts.  Please call the non-emergency number at 651-291-1111.  If you do not feel safe right now, please call 911.
How can I cancel my on-line police report?  I found the items I thought were stolen. The report is a permanent record and cannot be cancelled.  However, you can update your case with that information.  Please send an e-mail to the investigator at
I have more information to add to my existing on-line report.  How do I do that? Once you have received your permanent case number (which starts with a number, not the letter ‘T’) you can file a Supplement Report to add more information.

Last Edited: November 18, 2020